XIII

December 24th | Seven days until NYE

It was weird being back home after a couple of weeks away. After diving into seas and heart-felt confessions with mermaids, being around my normal parents and my normal little sisters was jarring. They embraced the warm heat making our curls spring out of place, they giggled at the sporadic flurry my parents were causing trying to get the Christmas preparations ready for tomorrow. I was charged with babysitting the twins, but I didn't mind because it helped me remember what it was to have a normal day.

Michael Bublé's blues echoed softly through a speaker in the corner as Theresa and Olena fiddled with their toys on their play mats. I watched them carefully as Theresa threw her toy around while Olena gently played with her toy bunny's ears. I watched Theresa more than Olena – she was wilder.

My living room was littered with tinsel and small reindeer statues, and one potent Christmas Tree. The smell of pine wafted through my nose, rich to my palette, with the fireplace waiting for the latest strike of a match. The stockings hung near the wall, out of reach of the twins, and the baubles shimmered in the afternoon light streaming through the window.

It was Christmas. In my home it meant family, food, and festive games. We had our own traditions that were coming into play soon, when Leah and Benji's families came over and we destroyed them by winning every game we set up.

Leah and I were competitive, and Benji was the peacekeeper whenever we got too carried away, but having our entire families play meant everything was fair game. Peace was off the table. Winning was the only option.

My family and I had a winning streak going – for two years we'd been the victors of charades, and it wasn't going to be broken again tonight.

I gave Theresa her toy that she'd thrown out of reach again, and Olena hugged her bunny and watched Dad and Mum cooking up a storm. I could see succulent meats and fragrant cheeses being arranged with grapes and crackers on a large serving board. My dad was placing bottles of alcohol on the counter; wine, beer, ales, and there were lemonades for the non-drinkers and drivers.

My hollow stomach twisted at the sight. I wanted to eat the entire table and I'd happily fight Leah for the pork pies. Benji could have the 'sprouts and the Pavlova would be demolished by everyone within seconds. It was going to be a fun night.

Theresa squawked at me, pointing at her toy she'd thrown by the kitchen. Olena just blinked at her as Theresa's lip wobbled, her little hands reaching out.

"No, no," I stood up and pointed at her unshed tears, "no crying, I'll grab your toy! Please don't scream the house down."

I quickly ran to where she'd thrown it and gave it back to her. Her tears instantly disappeared as she looked up, threw the toy again, blinking up at me as she squeaked, pointing to where it landed.

"No."

Theresa's lip wobbled.

"No, I'm not falling for it Tess," I shook my head. "Don't cry."

Olena reached up for me, grumbling. I obliged and picked her up. I held her on my hip as she held her bunny in her hands tightly like she was afraid Theresa would throw it too.

Theresa, however, was beginning to shuffle and fidget, and Mum stuck her head into the living room when she began to cry.

"What did you so Sylvia?" Mum scolded, picking her up and hugging her close as she hiccupped on her shoulder.

"Nothing!" I said. "She keeps throwing her toy, turning on the water works, I bring her the toy and then she's fine! She's kicking up a fuss because I didn't get it for her."