divine rêverie

Her humanity was what drew him in; her need to live in the moment rather than dwell on the past as he had done so often.

She held no restrictions nor boundaries that kept her from living life as freely as she wished. He admired that aspect about her and could only yearn to lead a life unfettered by past mistakes or regrets. She encompassed everything he desired to be and every moment he spends at her side, his fondness for her grew.

Sometimes he thinks his title as the God of Freedom suited her far more than it ever did him.

The infectiously cheery smile that perked at the ends of her lips at the sound of his lyre was the mark of her everlasting presence. Even when his eyes fluttered shut to bask in the dulcet melody of his own creation, the image of her breezy features would persist. His ears perked at the ring of her chiming laughter and the skirt of her dress would flit along with the mellow breath of the surrounding plains as she twirled in tune with the music. To him, she was a refreshing sight among the sea of green and her dancing only served to adhere to her angelic allure.

With his back against the great tree he treasured so dearly and his lyre resting atop his lap as he plucked away at its strings, life never felt more unrestrained. She brought that sense of security and with her at his side, he could momentarily forget the bonds of fate that tie him down. Here, he was Venti; a carefree bard in search of both free wine and entertainment. For just a few seconds he could ignore the guilt that his lie imposed.

Venti, the person she thought she knew and loved, was in fact a lie.

If he had the courage to tell her everything, what would she say? Would she hate him? Would she leave him? He couldn't even begin to imagine what her anger looked like neither could he picture her spewing venom from the same lips that whispered her sweet affection for him. Although small, that part of him that still clung to the hope that she'd accept him as easily as she had with everything else that came her way. The thought of losing her felt as if he were parting with the bit of humanity he held onto.

"Venti?"

He perks at the sound of his name and his gaze lifts from the rolling plains before him to instead focus on the concerned visage of his companion. He doesn't understand her worry at first until he realizes moments later that his fingers no longer plucked at the strings of his lyre and instead they were frozen idly in place. His lips part to offer a cheeky response, one that he was sure would have distracted her from his previous melancholy, yet the words died midway and he merely provided a wistful sigh as he hugged his instrument closer to his chest.

She was quick to detect his change in mood and, despite her love of dancing and all things sprightly, she lowered herself down to sit right next to him. It was odd to see her become so compliant with the act of settling down for once, but to him, it was just another sign of her unspoken care for him. Her brows were knitted tightly together and her lips, which were pulled into a bright smile several moments earlier, were now pressed into a flat line. He thought nothing suited her far more than the expression of happiness and knowing that he was the cause of her drastic shift in features, added to his considerably dampened mood. He willed himself to try once more, forcing a wry smile upon his lips in an attempt to mimic his usual carefree expression.

"It's. . . nothing." He huffs a bit of laughter as if to further convince her though it's obvious she doesn't seem to be buying it.

Although her look of concern seems to soften significantly, he still catches an almost knowing look in her eyes but she doesn't press him for a more proper response. Instead, she wordlessly leans her head against his shoulder and stares ahead at the expansive fields of green. She says nothing to fill in the vacant silence between them and it's her presence and added touch that brings him a sense of comfort.

As talkative as he could be, especially around her, he couldn't help but relish these passing moments of peace. Nothing disturbed the natural ambiance the windy fields provided save for the occasional passing breeze that swayed the extensive canopy above them, and the melodic chirping of birds that were, in a way, carrying a tune of their own. She didn't press for questions and he wasn't forced to admit something he wasn't ready to say, not when their fate still hung uncertainly above their heads. He wanted her to know everything there was about him and even though he couldn't bring himself to open up in that very moment, he knew in time that he would be comfortable enough to one day tell her the truth.

Until then, he knew she would stay by his side. Her hand which intertwined with his own wordlessly promised him that and the accompanying squeeze only further lay claim to her silent oath.

She would stay until he was ready. He was sure of that.