ashes

In life, all she ever needed was only a few things: music for her ears and a place big enough to let her dance. The troubles of her past and even the dilemmas of her present wasn't something she constantly thought about. Looking back only bore regrets and 'what if' scenarios that were best left to the imagination and nothing more. She would rather fill her mind with a variety of melody than mull over something that can no longer be changed.

The past was the past for a reason and she didn't dare question it.

She's always wondered what made her want to become closer to him. Was it his music? The playful look in his eye? Or could it have been the somber silence she would sometimes find him in where his expression looked far too jaded for a man his age? Maybe at first, it was his music. He played vastly different from the other bards of Mondstadt and it was that certain uniqueness that initially attracted her. Yet, if she loved him only for his sound, why did she feel as if she had a deeper connection to him?

To her, he was an enigma. He was a mystery she wished to solve and what place could she be better equipped to do so if not by his side? Those rare moments, the ones where he does not look like the Venti she knew but someone entirely different, propagated her curiosity and it was that desire alone that made her want to know him deeper than what he yielded on the surface.

Though the question of the matter was; would he allow her to? There was a part of him, one she didn't notice until months into their relationship, that closed him off from her. No matter how much he appeared to be open with her, answering her every question with that bubbly giggle of his, there was still a certain vagueness in his responses that begged her to question him more. It was a wall of sorts and it was concealed behind a deceivingly playful smile.

Sometimes it felt as if that hand he initially offered out to her was slowly beginning to pull away from her.

"Dearie," Her eyes widen slightly at the sensation of a gentle hand grasping her shoulder. Her gaze is sluggish as it moves up from her open hands to greet the concerned expression of the older woman standing in front of her seated form. "No matter how boring this all is, you have to pay attention."

The woman pauses for a moment, her wrinkled lips tightening to a thin line as if she were internally contemplating something. There's a slight wrinkle in her brow before it relaxes and she heaves a sigh before fetching a small piece of folded paper from her pocket.

"Here," She offers it out and [name] stares at it for a brief moment before slowly taking it from her. "All of the dosages are written in there. Make sure they're precise before you take them. You know what'll happen if you're off even by a smidge."

The warning was taken in stride and as she lifted herself up from her seat, she paid it little mind. To her, the words were no cause for alarm. She was far too accustomed to hearing them to yield any reaction.

Her fate was sealed the day she was diagnosed with an incurable disease.

"Thank you," She murmured as she pocketed both the small note and the paper bag that distinctly clinked from the tiny vials inside. "See you next month, Lizzie."

The woman smiles, cracked lips spreading into a grin as she sends her a small wave. "If your temperature rises even a little bit, you come running to me, okay?"

Another pat, this one being more firm than gentle could be felt against her back, and she responds with a listless nod before heading out of the front door. Outside, the sight of the expansive fields greeted her as well as the accompanying light spring breeze. The towering walls of Mondstadt could be seen in the distance and although she would usually feel nervous to be wandering so far from the safety the city offered, she instead found the experience to be refreshing. There were only a few times she's ever ventured out of the city and all of them were with Venti and to not have him by her side now felt emptier.

But he couldn't know. He couldn't know about her affliction or the limited amount of time she had before her sickness reached limits she could no longer fight off with medicine alone. It was better if he were only left with the memories of her dancing rather than the bedridden future she faced in the coming year.

She couldn't tell him she was fated to die and so that secret was what she was willing to take to the grave with her.