Chapter 2

I bought a bus ticket that would take me all the way to North Carolina. Luckily, no one had recognized me and asked me anything. Well...at least that's what I had thought. A boy, about my age, with pale skin, sat next to me on the bus. I had my hood on and my head was leaning on the window. That's when the boy leaned over and whispered "well you're one runaway teenager".
                  My heart almost jumped out of my chest. Great. I'd been caught. So much for fixing my life. "Don't worry, I won't tell. Besides if I spill the beans, I'd get caught too" he said. "Pardon?" I replied, being very obviously confused. "Oh how rude of me, I haven't introduced myself. I'm Gabriel Freece. I'm escaping from a very vicious family. What about you?". His voice was quiet, but very soothing. However I was still very mad at the fact that he had scared the hell out of me. "Viridian" I had only said my name because I still didn't know if I could trust him. "Oh, that much I know" he said "saw you in the news article. Dead apparently. I guess they have misleading information. You look alive and well to me" he chuckled.
                   "You talk a lot for someone who's running away from reality" I mumbled. "Maybe talking is my escape from reality". I stared into his eyes for a few seconds. His deep brown eyes. Gabriel Freece. I'll never forget you. For as long as I live. You changed my life. You changed me. "So...where are you headed to?" I said. "North Carolina. My family has a vacation house over there. I luckily stole the keys of the car and the house from my parents without being caught" he mentioned. Self centered much. "What about you". "Coincidence. I'm also going to North Carolina. Except I don't really know where I'm going. I have a couple hundred bucks so I might settle in a hotel for a couple nights. But after that..I don't know" I responded.
                   "Why don't you settle in with me". "Hm?" Again. I was confused. He's a very confusing boy. "I mean like at the house. You can stay for as long as you want. Maybe just you get your life put together. It'll be beneficial for the both of us. You won't have to worry about money and I won't have to be alone". A very intriguing offer, he gave me."But how do I know that I can trust you?" I said, still whispering. "Well I don't look that intimating, do I? Besides...I know your little secret" He said.
                   Dead end. Literally. "Fine but make one mistake or screw up, and I'm out of there," I said. "Fair enough, shake on it?" He held out his hand. I looked away and closed my eyes. "Guess not," he said. I smiled, eyes still closed. Life was already looking up. I looked at my phone as the bus took off. 9:08 pm. The battery was at 70%. It would last me long enough. My eyes eventually felt heavy and I could feel my head dropping from how tired I was. Except my head fell onto Gabriel's shoulder. I heard him laugh. He grabbed onto my hand and said "Sleep well. I can already tell we're going to be close". At the time, I had no idea what he meant. But somehow I still felt safe.