Chapter 49. The Second Task ☾

A/N: I don't own anything all belong to the great J.K Rowling

~~~~~°~~~~~°~~~~~°~~~~~°~~~~~°~~~~~

Harry awoke the day of the second task quite concerned. He had no idea who would be waiting for him at the bottom of the lake. He quite hoped it was not Luna. Not saying he did not love her the most, but he did not think she would do well being kidnapped and held at the bottom of the lake. She had already almost been poisoned, kidnapping just did not seem the best thing after that for the girl.

Harry considered that it might be Dragon. He would really miss his godfather, and he did not think it was out of the realm of possibility for Dumbledore to put his godfather in danger. However, Dumbledore was complicit in hiding a well-known fugitive and amplifying that point by placing said fugitive at the bottom of the lake only made matters worse. Dragon had to remain in the background undetected. He could not be the center of attention.

For some reason, Harry was certain they would still pick Hermione for Krum. This made no sense to him whatsoever, as Krum only met Hermione a few months ago and had only talked to the girl a handful of times. Did he not have a family member or two that he would miss more? Was Krum really that shallow? Maybe they just picked people they had readily available. However, how would they explain bringing Fleur's sister all the way from France for the task. Harry shook his head. He would not try to understand the logic of those who invented these stupid games. After all, they thought these death games were a good idea.

He got dressed and sighed in relief as he saw Dragon come prancing into the room. He got down to love on the dog when he noticed Dragon had something in his mouth. Dragon dropped the bag on the floor and barked happily. Harry quirked an eyebrow and picked up the bag. On it was a note. Harry's eyebrows went up in shock.

The note read,

Harry,

Use this gillyweed for today's event. It should be enough to last you through the task and then some. Be careful to take it right when you need to start, not a minute before.

Professor Snape

Okay, Harry could admit, he liked this Snape better. He pocketed the gillyweed and patted Dragon on the head. He was happy that he would not need to steal from the professor's stores to make it through this task.

"Professor Snape sent you to me, didn't he?" Harry asked Dragon. Dragon barked again. "He sure is different this time around. I wonder why that is." Dragon whined and turned back into Sirius.

"Well, for one, he knows now that you're not some spoiled brat." Sirius commented as Harry brushed his own unruly hair. Harry huffed.

"I never understood that. I guess, if he thought I lived with my grandparents, he was sure I had a good life. But why spoiled?" Harry questioned as he stared into the mirror. Sirius sighed.

"He always whined that James and I were spoiled brats." Sirius offered as explanation. Harry smirked.

"So, he really did expect me to be just like my father." The boy muttered. Sirius shrugged, gave Harry a hug, wished him good luck, and turned back into Dragon.

Harry and Dragon walked down to Black Lake. A crowd of people were already there, eagerly waiting for the task to begin. Harry saw Fleur, Krum, and Cedric all standing around nervous. Harry winked at Cedric and Cedric winked back. Cedric had returned the favor and warned Harry about the Second Task. Harry had already known about it, but could not tell Cedric that, so he had thanked the boy and the two of them had parted ways. Harry still snuck into the Prefect's Bathroom for a swim, mind you, but he did not need to listen to the egg again.