Cautionary Fairytale (Rich)

Richard Speight Jr x Daughter

You come home late from work to find your husband singing and playing the guitar for your eight month old daughter, Olivia.
_______

Third POV

Rich perked up when he heard her cries coming from the baby monitor and sighed. He had literally just put her to sleep. Or he thought he did. What could she possibly want from him? She's woken up at least five times in the last few hours. She seemed to go straight to sleep when you were there. He waits a few more seconds in case she fell back asleep anyway, but her cries didn't cease. So, he got up from the couch in the living room, then quickly headed upstairs to his daughter's nursery. When he opened the door, he saw that she was standing up, holding on to the railing of the crib. She started to jump up and down when he came in.

He chuckles a little "Hey, Livy". She babbles in response, then makes grabby hands at him. He sighs before walking over to the crib. He easily lifts her from under her arms, then he sits her on his hip. "So... this is what it's gonna be, huh? Act all sweet and innocent around mama, but when she's gone you turn into the devil child. Hm? Is that what this is?" He jokes. She just babbles again and he chuckles "I'll take that as a yes". He holds her close to him as he wanders around the room a little. He had tried feeding her, checking her diaper and even playing with her a bit. But he still didn't know why she was resisting sleep. He pauses his pacing to look at her. She looked back at him with a toothless smile and he couldn't help but smile back. She got his eyes, albeit a little darker. And she had tufts of light brown baby hair on her head. Everything else was you, though. Just the way she looked at him reminded him of you. When Olivia started to whimper, Rich gently hushed her and bounced her a little. He didn't know why she was fussing. But then he had an idea. He smiles "Hey, Ollie. How'd you feel if I brought the guitar out? Hm? Will that settle you?". Of course she had no idea what that meant, but she babbled happily and he took that as positive feedback. He gets a pacifier and sticks it in her mouth. "Come on then, sweetheart" He sighs before carrying her out of the room.

Rich heads downstairs to the living room with Liv. He puts her in her playpen, then drags it over to the couch. She giggles at the feeling of being moved, making him chuckle a little. Then he walks over to the corner of the living room, where his acoustic guitar is hanging on the wall. He brings it over to the couch, then sits down with it in his lap. Olivia had stood up at this point, like she was in the crib earlier. Holding on to the tops of the playpen barriers in the corner of it. The netting makes a soft wall for her to lean against. As he was tuning his guitar, he noticed her watching him. He smiles softly "Hi, gorgeous. Want me to sing somethin' for you?". Her little chin rested on the playpen railing as her big brown eyes looked up at him. Rich felt his heart melt there and then. He smiles a little "Now, I know I don't have the best voice. Just bear with me". He thought for a moment about what song he would play and it just came to him. He started to gently strum the strings with some chords. Although this was his first time singing to her, he didn't feel nervous. The more those eyes looked at him, the more it felt like it was a thing they did all the time. And then he started to sing.

There was a man on my doorstep.
He said, "Son, you best wake up.
There's a great wind a-comin'
once it blows, it won't let up".

Well, I was young and naive.
Said, "I appreciate you comin' round. But I got a house made of brick here. Ain't no wind gonna bring it down".

He left just as he came.
As if he was never here,
and I went, I went on livin'
without concern, without fear.

Well, I loved her like a fairytale, I lost her like a dream.
Pull up on the roadside there and I'll tell you what I mean.
There're things in life you can't control and things you can't foresee.
But if you find real love, don't ever let her leave.