MOODBOARD :: PREVIEW

As she climbed Constitution Hill, Moving by Supergrass was promptly cut off by an incoming phone call through her earphones

As she climbed Constitution Hill, Moving by Supergrass was promptly cut off by an incoming phone call through her earphones. She grunted, her walking slowing to wedge the box under one arm and accept the call. "Madeleine Melling,"

A pause followed. "What are you answering like that for, I'm your mother?"

"For God's sake," she muttered, "I'm on my way to work, Mum. I didn't look to see who was calling."

"On your way into work?" Mandy repeated in a bewildered tone. "Isn't the school closed? How are you going to get in? And why are you going, more importantly? Everyone else is on holiday."

Madeleine's eyes bugged at the volume of questions Mandy threw at her. "Okay, first of all, there's no rest for the wicked. Second of all, they don't close the campus studios through the holidays, so I will be able to get in. And third of all, I have bills to pay and I need to send some products to Seher for the weekend. Is that good enough for you?"

Her mother huffed into the mouthpiece. "Alright, no need to get your knickers in a twist. It's only day three of the new year, I just thought you might take a few more days off."

She grunted. "No, I like working. Especially when it's quiet."

"Suit yourself, then. I just rang to check you'd remembered the welcome pack for the new tenant downstairs? They're moving in today."

Madeleine stalled at the campus gate, cringing to herself. No, she hadn't remembered. "Um-,"

"That'll be a no." Mandy chuckled. "Just write them a note and buy them a nice arrangement from Tilly after you've dropped your stuff off with Seher."

"Okay," she conceded around a sigh, "I'm not saying hello, though. I'll be leaving them by the door and disappearing again."

"I wouldn't expect anything less, Maddy."