To Hold or To Let Go

A gentle stroke on my hair awoke me from my shallow sleep.

My eyes struggled adjusting when she shifted and the sunlight from behind her flooded my face.

"Did I wake you up, Yoongi? Sorry baby."

Her angelic voice washed me with peace and comfort.

"How long was I asleep?"

I asked without lifting my head from her lap.

"Long enough for me to memorize every little detail of your face."

She giggled as she leaned against the tree trunk.

I stared at her as the sunlight passing in between the leaves gently illuminated her face.

She stroked my hair again and her touch made me want to drift off to sleep again.

I lifted my hand and reached out to her chin. Gently, I pulled her face closer to me and our lips touched.

The world seemingly stopped and our kiss is the only thing that existed.

The birds stopped singing. The faint sound of leaves rustling halted. Even the wind stood still.

Her lips are the only sensation that I felt. I didn't want this moment to stop.

The moment our lips parted, I wanted to pull her back in. But I also wanted to see her face.

I pulled myself up and sat in front of her. My hand not leaving her face.

She held my other hand that's on the grass for support.

"I love you." I uttered with so much sincerity. I felt like my heart was about to come out of my chest. It's so full of my love for her.

"I love you too." Her smile makes me wanna live a good life but it can also wreck my heart any moment.

"Can we stay this way a little longer?" I pleaded.

"I wish we can." A sudden sadness flooded her eyes.

"I don't want this to end." My heart is starting to break now.

"I'm sorry."

"I don't wanna go back. All I need is you."

"But you have to, baby."

"I can just stay this way forever."

She reached out for my hand that's on her face and closed her eyes as she smiled.

"I miss you too. But..."

"Don't you wanna be with me?"

She opened her eyes and looked at me. The look in her eyes reminded me of the very exact moment she looked back at me in the car on the day we had an accident.

Even before the truck hit our car, what she did in that last moment was look at me and uttered the words "I love you."

"I can't be with you anymore. You have to move on."

I've seen this scene before. I've heard this so many times. But it still hurts like the first time. My heart shattered as she pulled my head away from her face.

I know what's gonna happen next.

"Please, Yoongi. Wake up."

"I don't want to. Please just let me stay this way. Don't send me back."

"I can't."

She stood up and held her hand for me.

"You have to go. Please, live your life. For me."

I've been offered with this hand so many times before. I never took it.

All I'm gonna do is close my eyes and I'll wake up on her lap again. That's all what it takes to be with her once more.

"Let's go, baby."

I slowly lifted my hand and reached out to her hand.

As soon as our hands touched, my eyes fluttered open.

I woke up in an unfamiliar, cold and dark room. Surrounded by beeping machines and tube attached to my body, I felt dead in a living body. 

No trees. No birds singing. No warm breeze.

No her.