001

riley gecko

"stupid fucking feet. stupid fucking board. stupid fucking—" a mass slammed into me, knocking me to the ground and interrupting my angry babbling.

"oh shit, oh shit!" the mass lifted itself from on top of me, revealing a blonde boy. "are you okay?"

propping myself up on my elbows, i nodded.

"yeah, i'm good," i moved to get up further when a searing pain ran up my wrist.

"ah, fuck!" i winced, falling back and grabbing my right wrist with my free hand.

"what? what happened? oh my god," the blonde got on his knees and sat me up.

"my wrist — fuck — it really hurts," tears built behind my eyes as i continued to cradle my limp arm.

concern clear on his face, he asked me to try to move it, to no avail.

"um, shit," he ran a hand through his hair and another boy approached us.

"it looks broken." "it feels broken."

the other boy, a husky guy with curly hair, finally arrived.

"cooper, what's going on?" my eyes darted from one boy to the other.

"i knocked her over and broke her wrist," his voice sounded guilty, "let me call an ambulance for you, please."

i nearly choked at the notion.

"i don't have money for a ride in the meatwagon," my wrist might hurt, but not as much as the ambulance bill would.

the blonde, apparently named cooper, sighed, "you have to go to the hospital, though."

"then either call me an uber or you pay for the ambulance." i felt hot, embarrassing tears run down my cheeks.

"travis—" "on it." the two were seemingly on the same page when it came to getting me to the hospital.

"i'm so sorry," cooper apologized again. "let's stand you up, the bench is better than the ground at least."

he helped me rise and grabbed my board and backpack, walking me over to a wooden bench near the edge of the skate park.

"what's your name?" he asked as we sat.

my eyes didn't leave my swelling wrist as i responded, "riley."

"riley what?" he pressed.

"gecko. riley gecko." his hand rubbed circles on my upper back.

unable to hold in the pain, i let out a sob. my wrist hurt like a bitch, with jabs of searing pain running up my arm and down to my fingertips.

"shh, shh, it's gonna be okay. i'm so sorry." he sounded more nervous than guilty now. he now had responsibility of me, a random crying girl who's wrist he broke.

he pushed my towards him, and i felt his t-shirt become damp with tears.

"guys, the uber's here," i heard travis say, and felt cooper motion me up.

his arm stayed around my shoulder as he walked me to the waiting car before he and travis got in with me.

"w-what are you doing?" i asked.

"i just broke your wrist, dude. i'm going to the hospital with you."

i sniffled out a thanks as the driver took off, pushing the speed limit at travis' request.

"travis, this is riley gecko," cooper introduced us. the other boy gave a sheepish wave, likely feeling awkward due to the circumstances of our meeting.

"hi travis." my voice sounded small and i hated it.

"so... how old are you?" cooper was very obviously trying to distract me from my wrist, but i appreciated it nonetheless.

the car hit a pothole and i winced due to the reverberating pain in my wrist before answering. "i'm nineteen. what about you guys?"

"i'm twenty," travis said.

"and i'm twenty-two," cooper laughed awkwardly.

"cool, i guess. do you break strangers' wrists very often?" i teased.

"not when i can help it. i'm so sorry by the way, i wasn't paying attention to where i was going. travis was shooting reel for me." he apologized again.

i paused, "does that mean you have me breaking my wrist on video?"

giggling a little, travis nodded. "yeah... what's your number? so we can send you it."

"you can just put your info into my phone, it's in the small pocket of my bag."

cooper quickly rummaged through my shit, asking for the passcode.

"zero-nine-two-two-zero-zero," i spelled out my ex's birthday and watched cooper quickly go to contacts.

"i'm coopie and he's t-money, so you don't forget us," he grinned, locking my phone and shoving it back among the contents of my bag.

"i don't think i could ever forget the guy who broke my wrist and his friend who videotaped it, but thanks anyway."