CHAPTER TWO - Rush

"I always let the days slip away. I should have been making up my mind."
- Rush by Flume

Kara

"So they just told you to pack a bag and head to LA?"

"Pretty much," She winced, lifting the heavy, large suitcase towards the entrance of their shared apartment.

"Don't they usually give you like a two weeks notice? Two days is literally nothing compared to what you are normally given," Delia went on as she watched her from the couch in the living room. Dropping the bag with a thud, Kara turned to face her.

She was right. All of Kara's past jobs have been assigned weeks or months in advance to allow her enough time to prepare a security detail, especially when it came to celebrity or VIP assignments. However, after seeing the very generous line of zeros that followed the amount she was offered for this specific task, Kara quickly complied.

"I'm just going to have to plan everything out on the flight," she shrugged, collapsing onto the couch next to her friend. After receiving notice of the job, she had been running around nonstop and it has left her absolutely exhausted.

Delia threw an arm around Kara's shoulders and rested her head atop of hers as she pulled her close.

"I feel like you just got back from Europe," Delia pouted, "What am I supposed to do without you for the next six months?"

"Mal," Kara blurted out, unable to contain the laughter she had stored. Delia groaned throwing her head back in annoyance,

"You're a fucking ass."

"What? Am I wrong?" Kara questioned, stifling her giggles, "From what I could tell, I thought you and Malory were going good?"

"Oh, honey. We are great," Delia sighed causing Kara to scrunch her nose at the innuendo towards her best friend's sex life, "But I don't know if she's the one."

"Why? Because she doesn't dig threesomes?"

"Kara!" She gasped, letting out a dry laugh, "You're just on fire today, aren't you?"

Delia shook her head with a smirk to which Kara laughed even more.

"C'mon, Del. As your personal go-to third wheel, I get it if she's uncomfortable."

"She definitely doesn't like sharing," Delia admitted with a grin, "But that's beside the point. I just don't get that butterfly feeling when I'm around her, ya' know?"

"Sure," Kara nodded as if she could relate. Delia continued,

"It's like your stomach should flip every time they walk into the room. Your whole body should be shaking, anticipating their touch."

"You either take your English degree way too seriously or watch way too many Nicholas Sparks' movies when I'm away," Kara shook her head smiling, pulling away from Delia's arms to walk towards the kitchen.

"Oh, come on, Kara! Have you seriously not felt anything like that?" Delia asked, standing to follow her. When Kara reached the kitchen cabinet to the left of the fridge, she gave her an honest look.

"Not all of us consider their high school sweetheart to be their first love, Del. Some just remember them as mistakes."

Delia let out a loud huff taking a seat on one of the plastic barstools that sat in front of their mini kitchen island, "I forget how much of a cold-hearted bitch you can be sometimes."

Kara chuckled, placing two shot glasses in front of them with one hand while plopping down the large bottle of Grey Goose they kept stashed for Kara's departures with the other. Twisting the lid off, she carefully poured the clear liquid into the two glasses and set the bottle down.