chapter one

"it's impossible."

i squinted at the images on the screen and then at the medical report and the symptoms that cluttered my notes.

"i can do it."

"this is a pointless surgery. just get someone else to do it for you, alessandra."

"mom, if i found out how to cure neurodegenerative diseases, then i think i can perform a tumor removal surgery."

most of the conversations i had with her were similar in style. she supported me, but there was always a hint of doubt in my abilities. she feared that i would somehow fail and fall into a downward spiral. dad was the opposite, he was unwavering in his belief in my success regardless of what i did.

"why don't you call the guy i met, my friend's son?"

i sighed and looked up to meet her eyes. "i'm not interested," i answered with a stern tone.

"you're almost 25. you should start a family, have a husband... even a wife would be fine at this point!"

"i will."

"you will, yes, but not by waiting until you're older and everyone is taken. you won't have anyone to choose from, it will be even lonelier than now."

i went back to writing notes on the MRI images of my patient's brain. "you act like we live in the ancient world, people don't marry each other at such a young age anymore."

standing up from her chair, mother turned and walked out of my office in defeat. i chuckled, she always worried about my 'family' even though my brother already had his own family that she could go to. it was my life and i would do with it as i pleased. i hadn't yet met a man in the world that understood me and my passions.

a ringing drew me out of my thoughts, i scrambled around to locate the sound. reaching for my phone, a smile appeared on my face.

"hey, anastasia."

"hi, gorgeous. When are you coming into the facility? I thought you said you were going to be early... anyways, i have something to show you!"

i looked down at my notes that were still in need of some work. mmm... i guess procrastination wouldn't hurt, after all, the tumor was benign. with that, i stood up and went to go change.

"okay. i'll be there in thirty minutes."

--

"welcome, doctor."

i smiled at the receptionist as i raised my hand to have it scanned. in mere seconds, the scanner glowed green and the doors opened, granting my access to the first ever medical facility to rival NASA with it's innovation, HALA.

after years of research in neurodegenerative diseases, i had managed to combine biochemistry with technology amongst other work to hinder many common brain diseases that plagued humanity. only a year afterward, i was granted awards and sponsorships that allowed for me to hire other young bright students to help me create a cure. with that, i created HALA. Anastasia was a biochemist and an amazing surgeon, but she was far more experienced since she was forty-two years old.

i took the elevator to the bioengineering department and knocked on her office.

"your gorgeous friend has arrived," i called out.

the white door slid away and revealed Anastasia's face, which was full of excitement.

"you should clean up," i laughed as i tried to walk between stacks of reports and boxes full of cases that were scattered on the floor. "i'll fire you if i fall."