A 300 Word Story- Honorable Mention, @ScienceFiction #SciFriday Contest 10

“Well?” Katie paused in the doorway. “What do you think?”

Her roommate, Sarah, made a circular motion with her hand, and Katie complied, spinning around and sending her dress twirling around her legs. “Perfect. But’s that’s not the real question. The real question is what do you think?”

Katie cocked her head in mock confusion. “What do I think about what?”

“About tonight! Don’t play dumb.” Sarah scooted over on the couch and patted the cushion. “Come on. Talk.”

Sighing, Katie plopped down next to her. “Look, I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m just not sure…”

Sarah jumped in before Katie could finish. “One. It’s your one year anniversary.” She held up her fingers, numbering the thoughts. “Two. It’s Valentine’s Day. Three. He’s not taking you to some fancy smancy place, but to the coffee shop you met at. Super romantic! Way more romantic than fighting for tables, IMHO. Shall I continue?” She didn’t wait for an answer. “Four. He asked you to dress up. For a date at coffee shop! And I know I saw him talking with your parents through the window of that restaurant.”

“I’m still not sure you saw that.” Katie finally managed to get a word in edgewise.

“Well, I know I did. He is clearly going to propose. Why do you keep thinking he’s not?”

“That’s not the problem, Sarah. I think you’re right.”

Sarah hesitated, a rare thing for her. “Then what is the problem?” She gave a sudden gasp. “Are you going to say no!? But why? He’s perfect!”

“Sarah, just shut up, okay?”

“Sorry, but he is perfect for you, you know?”

“Yes, I know that!” Katie snapped. “It’s just that the real question isn’t if I love him. It’s if I can stand waking up to his tentacles every day!”

_________

A/N: I wrote this for the #SciFriday contest number 10, and am excited to say I received an honorable mention! All the winners had great stories, and I encourage you to go read them. Happy Valentine's Day!