Chapter 49

Annie had a hard time trying to understand the decision that Jean had taken, but she felt that she would've been ungrateful if she asked him why. The Kirstein boy forgave her, and she knew that she owes him as well. The will to make up for all of her wrong doings became stronger, and damned will she be if she doesn't live up to her promise.

The promise she made to her late father, Armin, and now Jean.

And all of those whom she killed.

As soon as she got out of Jean's room, she instantly saw Eren on her left. His green eyes radiated the hatred that he had for her, and Annie felt her self become tense.

Whatever sense of relief she had left now vanished, because Eren stood right ahead of her.

Eren gave an annoyed sigh as he kept his hard gaze on the Leonhart girl. "You think that just because that horse-faced bastard and Armin forgave you, that everyone is suddenly going to forget what you did?". Eren sharply retorted.

Annie was forced to silence after Eren's statement.

"You think that just by crying and "feeling guilty", that you'll be easily forgiven? Do you honestly think that you can easily make up for all of the terrible crimes that you did?". Eren said as he began inching closer to her.

The atmosphere suddenly became thickened with tension as Eren kept his intense glare at Annie. Although she knew that she bested him in hand-to-hand combat, she already admitted that Eren was a dangerous opponent. It was only her skills that kept her from dying by the hands of the fierce boy.

"I don't know what you did to convince both of them to forgive you, but this doesn't matter to me right now". Eren spat. "I'm here to remind you of your place here with us. Everyone still remembers what you did back in that expedition, and I sure as hell didn't forget that you killed my mom". Eren hissed.

Annie didn't respond to any of Eren's verbal attacks, instead she averted his gaze.

"Listen to me Annie, and you damn well better listen". Eren said. "None of the Survey Corps forgot that you're just nothing but a cold-blooded murderer who cares about herself. All of our comrades' blood, and the innocents' blood, lie on your hands". Eren said in a venomous tone. "If you so much step out of line, and if you so much try to even touch Mikasa or Armin, I swear to you Annie; I'll rip you apart piece by piece until there is nothing left of you!".

Annie knew that Eren could keep good on his promise, and that left her feeling on edge. The intensity of the hatred that radiated from his eyes sent chills down her spine, the same chills tied her tongue; refusing her any chance to speak.

Eren then backed away from Annie. "The only reason you're alive right now is because the Commander wants you to be alive". Eren said. "If we had it our way, you would've been dead ten times over". He said.

As Eren began walking away from Annie, he sent one more glance towards her direction. "Don't forget your place, you filthy bastard".

(.....)

"So what is our next strategy, Levi?". Luis asked as he sat across the table.

"I'm going to have to send some of our men to Mike's location". Levi said. "Before Erwin left, he gave me the location where Mike and the remainder of the Corps hid. They are currently residing in a small village, a village filled with a dark past". He continued. "The soldiers that I've sent should be easily able to lead them here without being detected by any Military Police patrolling the area, then things should get in motion after that".

"I see....". Luis said. "How can it be possible to overthrow a government without causing a violent uprising?". He asked.

"The Interior Police received heavy casualties, and the Military Police is largely incompetent". Levi said. "Their ranks are filled with corrupt officials and soldiers, the only thing that is keeping them loyal to the current government is their paycheck. Very few are actually loyal to keeping the island stable".

"So you're suggesting that we buy these soldiers to support us?". Luis asked.

Levi shrugged. "That's one way of doing it".

"But...that would be unethical". Luis said. "Necessary for our cause, that I can understand, but unethical nonetheless".

"Everything we do is illegal Luis, you should've known this by now". Levi said. "Right now is our only chance of overthrowing the government, to save ourselves and this island. If we place a military government instead, then operations can be more easily accomplished, and public opinion may steadily turn towards our favor".

"Right, you reminded me of the dangers that we are currently facing". Luis said. "The Warrior Unit is still at large, and the Island is in a vulnerable position. We need to do as much as we can so that we can take back the lands that my nation caused you to lose".

A moment of silence passed before Levi eventually spoke.

"Marley, that's its name right?". Levi said.

"Indeed". Luis said ashamed. "And I'm regretful of serving this corrupted nation".

"You never had a hand in turning our people into Titans, so in my opinion; you get a pass". Levi said. "Besides, you've been of great service and help to us".

"But none of this changes what I must do". Luis said. "As a man of Marleyan blood, I will help rectify my nation's greed and the wrongs that have been committed against your nation. I will help you to prosper Eldia and her people, even if it will cost me my life".

Levi felt impressed by the determination the former Marleyan Officer presented, causing him to respect the man more.

"All of us will do so, Luis". Levi said. "Together".