Arthur's P.O.V

Valentine's.
    With me being quite a lonely character in these school halls, I was very much considering to stay behind and not come to school at all today. With my family insisting my attendance didn't drop any lower, I packed my stuff ready for school, as I would any other morning, before sighing heavily and leaving my house.
     The main reason I didn't like Valentine's Day at school was because of how everyone took it. Obviously, everyone was confessing to their crushes today, and they were getting presents for their already partners. I, on the other hand, always saw it as a normal day. I never wanted it to be something special - surely an anniversary was the day of the year to celebrate love? Whatever.
     On my way to school, I walked past one of those houses. With one of those owners. They clearly took the holiday seriously, there were love stickers and hearts all over the outside of their house and, from what I could see through the windows, the inside too.

     After entering the school doors, I was greeted by a surprise. My only and dear friend, Alfred, jumped to me from the surprise, pulling me into a tight embrace. I jumped, obviously, as it was a huge surprise for me. In fact, I was on the urge of pushing him away. I decided to go for it. Today was Valentine's Day! People would think we were together or something...
     "Artie? Don't push me away, bro! Let me hug you, I know how you hate today, I didn't expect you to come in at all!" The dirty blonde raised his voice and hugged me again, causing my face to tense from slight frustration, then release again. I slowly and gently returned the hug, placing the palms of my hands onto his lower back.
     Whenever he hugged me, I felt... special. I'm not even sure if special is the correct word for it, but I felt something. Definitely something. The difference in our body types, the fact that he was reasonably taller than me and much buffer than me, made me feel protected. I slotted into his arms as if the gap was made for me...

     The hug must've lasted a minute. An entire minute of someone intimidatingly larger than me, embracing me with his warmth, and his relaxing scent... I mean, uh, hugging me!
     After he finally let go of me, I turned round to see two ladies staring. I mean staring. Like they'd just seen a miracle. Though, as soon as my eyes met theirs, they looked away then started giggling to each other.
     "Hey, Arthur, looks like we've got fangirls!" Alfred adjusted his glasses before looking straight back down to me, as my cheeks heated up and glew bright red. There's no way I could have hidden this. In all honesty... I have thought about us two together before. How can I help it? He's the only person in the world who even acknowledges me, as far as I'm aware... The only one who makes an effort, anyway!

     I checked my locker before first period. Before school every year on Valentine's, the teachers put small letter boxes on our lockers, for obvious reasons. They were a pale pink, with two darker pink hearts on top, one heart larger than the other, though the smaller one overlapped the larger one. I took the appropriate books for first lesson out of my locker, then locked it up again, turning away from the lockers in general.
     "Aren't you gonna check your box, dude?"
     "I see no reason to, I never bloody get anything anyway." I snapped in response, certain that my statement had to be true.
     "You never know until you try..."

     Opening the box, there was actually a scrap of paper. It was sloppily placed into the letter box, I could tell because of how it was folded at some of the edges.

     I unfolded the paper, reading the note left inside. In what had to be the world's sloppiest handwriting ever, it read:
     "hey dude! i was wonderin if you ever thought of me differently. not like a suger-free me, i mean like a boyfriend! also i was wonderin if you wanted to make that a thing..."
     What? That was the worst letter ever... but did I care? Not even slightly. Without even putting the letter down, I dropped it to the floor and roughly pushed my head against his chest. His natural reaction was perfect - he squeezed me tighter and whispered into my ear, "I always loved you, my dear boyfriend..."