Plane ride to paradise

Hey besties, this is a Clairo fanfic. Don't get worried when she's not in the first chapter or two, you'll get there I promise. Enjoy!

An opportunity is always an opportunity, unless you let it slip away. An opportunity is an opportunity, no matter what. That's what I have to tell myself at least. Remembering those words brought me peace when nothing else could. So despite the saying being sort of simple, and lacking of a solid meaning, I've been repeating it for years. Before my auditions, before going to class each day: every time I felt inferior to my own doubts, It's comforted me.

I squeeze my eyes shut while I whisper these words so softly, none of my neighbours will even feel the breath. I repeat my mantra over and over until the words feel begin to fake and lose all definition. I will succeed. I will not let my family down. If success is thousands of miles away from my home, so be it. I am strong and brave - and nobody can tell me otherwise.

My fingers start to unclench and the scattered
inhaling evens. I look at my surroundings for what might be the first time. My seat is in between two men, both tall and fairly scary. I divert my gaze away before they notice. The lights are off; most of the passengers slept through the ride. I then spot a tv screen and a snack tray attached to the seat in front of me.

Yes, I'm terrified. But maybe that's a good thing? I think a healthy dose of fear is natural when venturing off on your own. But I know myself, and I know that it's well more than a healthy dose. I won't let it consume me this time. I won't let this opportunity slip away.

"All passengers head back to your seats as we start our decent. Welcome to LA!"