Chapter 7

Lyna allowed Zevran to escort her to her room and couldn't help butsmile as Falon accompanied them. She wouldn't admit it out loud but Wynnhad been right, she was thoroughly exhausted. Zevran seemed torealize it too and their pace had slowed. As they moved through thehalls the young Warden kept one hand on Falons' back as well ashaving the other linked with the ex Crow, who was updating her oneverything that had happened since the final battle.

By the time they had reached her chamber she could feel her legstremble. Though her friends had been stretching them whilst she hadbeen unconscious, which she found surreal that she hadn't wokenwhilst they had been doing so, they hadn't been supporting herweight. She could feel the ache of the underused muscles and knewshe wouldn't be upright much longer. Once they entered her roomZevran supported her as they moved to the bed, then she all butcollapsed onto it.

After making sure that she was comfortable, the Antivan went overto the fireplace and restarted the fire which had gone out in theWardens absence. Falon, who had been away from his mistress for toolong, jumped onto the bed and curled up at her feet, refusing to movewhen the Antivan tried to shoo him off. Once he noticed her eyesbegin to droop he took his leave with a promise to return later.

As she lay in the soft bed withher Mabari at her feet Lyna finally admitted to herself how exhaustedshe was. Though she thought on all that Zevran had told her, as hereyes began to droop, one question kept circling in her mind. Howdid I survive?

xoxoxoxo

When the Bann had left, Alistair stayed in the study. Teagan hadinformed him that the rebuilding of the city was progressing wellwith the help of the Dwarven smiths and builders, and that some ofthe farmlands to the west of the city had not been destroyed fully. The supplies were also supplemented by the game and herbs that theDalish Hunters were trading with the city for cloth. The HumanHunters were staying to the edge of the forests whilst the Dalishpatrolled further in. This was in part in case there were anyDarkspawn stragglers further in and also to ensure any Elven campswould not be found.

Alistair understood the mistrustthat still lingered even though they had fought together. He hopedhowever, that in time they could put that mistrust behind them asthey had all worked too hard to let past conflict tear Ferelden apartnow. Standing in front of the large window that overlooked thecourtyard, he could see Humans, Dwarves and Elves working together. Thisis what we all fought for. This is what Lyna would have died for.

The young King knew Lyna wouldhave questions, especially on how she survived. He just didn't knowwhether to tell her the truth. Or, for that matter, what was he goingto tell the Wardens that were now on their way to Denerim. Oh,yes well, I slept with the daughter of Flemeth, you know, the Witchof the Wilds, in a secret ritual so that she could concieve a childwith the taint in order to attract the soul of the old god so that itwouldn't be destroyed. That protected whichever Grey Warden takingthe final strike from dying. Shakinghis head at the sarcastic thought that ran through his head hequickly dismissed the idea of explaining it. Mostdefinitely NOT a good idea to tell them that.

Turning from the window hereluctantly sat at the huge desk. There was a rather large stack ofmissives he had to get through. Atleast it will keep me busy. He thought, even though all he wanted to do was go and check onLyna. Reluctantly, he pulled his attention towards the first missiveand began to read.

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Four days had passed since she had awoken. Lyna had spent thattime strengthening her body and catching up on everything that hadbeen happening. She was surprised but pleased to learn that thedifferent races were still working together to rebuild. She feltproud that they had managed to put their mistrust aside for themoment, even if it was still there, lingering under the surface.