┃two┃

chapter two !

We were able to find an empty house — well, what was left of it anyways. The place was basically dead, the walls crumbling down into almost nothing and the wooden floors beneath our feet almost collapsing with every step we took. Of course, there were about two no-brainier's inside, which was expected, but we took them out the first chance we got before scavenging the place in search for any useful supplies.

Aside from a few random bullets, nothing was really found other than a few cans of Vienna sausages, crumbled La Rosa peanut candies, three full water bottles, and a half-empty bottle of tequila.

I'd put that to great use.

"I set up in the other room down the hall. It has easy access to doors and windows, that way we can escape if we need to. I found some blankets too, so you can use them if you'd like," Lennon tiredly mumbled, bringing his hand to rub his eyes. The purple bags that burnt themselves into his skin just under his eyes made him look older than he really was. He was a man of merely 23, yet under the darkness of the night settling in, he looked at least 30, his eyes gone of the innocence and excitement that once filled the youth.

"Alright," I replied, reaching for the tequila that sat on the table. He noticed this, rolling his eyes before turning on his feet and making his way down the hall. "Oh fuck off and let me get shitfaced, please."

"Do what you want, Charlie, but don't come crying to me when you have a massive hangover tomorrow."

"I'm only having a few shots, then I'll save it for later. Chill out, man, and get that stick out of your ass while you're at it," I snorted, following him into the large living room area.

Old and ratted blankets sat in the middle, a single candle lit to provide little light into the small room. It was absolutely dirty, but it would work.

I dropped my backpack, ignoring the cloud of dust that was sent arisen once it had thumped onto the floor.

One habit that seemed to stick with me throughout this entire apocalypse was my need to be clean. I could hardly fucking stand being in this filthy clothing, a thin layer of sweat soaked into my skin. I felt disgusting.

It was hard to relax in this room, where a couple had literally died, yet Lennon seemed to easily find comfort in his newly provided shelter.

Bringing the bottle to my lips, I took a swig of the burning liquid, grimacing slightly as the disgusting drink made it's way down my throat.

"Do you think we'll be alone forever?" Lennon asked quietly, using his elbows as a pillow to support his head. He stared up at the ceiling, his body completely relaxed.

I shrugged in answer. "I don't know, Lee."

People these days were dangerous and untrustworthy — they would kill us if they could live another day. People like that were strong, and we knew we had to be stronger.

I shivered at the thought of the last group we had ran into, and how they had attempted to grab us and possibly murder us. Due to my quick thinking, though, I screamed for Lee to run and we were able to get away from them.

Killing wasn't my cup of tea, but I was willing to kill anyone if it meant protecting Lennon and I.

"The world is over." I concluded, taking another large swig of the tequila.

He sighed, a minute of silence filling the small room.

Silently, he reached his hand out, gesturing for the bottle. Amused, I handed it to him. He took it, easily chugging about a quarter of it.

"If you drink it all, I swear i'm shoving the bottle up your ass." Quickly, he choked slightly, covering his mouth to keep in the laugh that fell from this lips.

I smiled slightly. That had been the first laugh I had heard from him in almost a year.

"Okay enough of the alcohol, let's get some sleep," I murmured softly, taking the bottle from his hands and setting it on the floor. He hummed in agreement, shifting slightly to lay on his side. I did so too, laying down on the thin, dirty blanket beneath me.

In the morning, we would scan the surrounding area and see if there were anymore houses, that way we could grab whatever we find.

"Night, Char," he said through a yawn, letting his blue eyes fall closed.

Glancing over at him, I couldn't stop myself from appreciating the man beside me — after all this time, we stuck together and never separated. He was my best friend, the only person I could still rely on, and I loved him like a brother.

It made me happy to have him by my side.

"Goodnight, Lee," I replied, a slight smile on my lips as I closed my eyes, waiting for the peaceful state of unconsciousness to overcome my body and mind.

In the next chapter, who do you think they will find? Or rather, who do you think will find them?
Hope you enjoyed ! Leave some feedback please :))