Not her Fan

I woke up the next morning with Rydel holding a coffee in my face. “Hey I thought you might want this. Staying here all night cannot be good for you, you know!” I sat up in the chair and took the coffee. “What did you even do all night?” Hmmm this was probably the greatest coffee ever. “Thanks. I talked to him. You know how he loves talking to people. I figured he wouldn’t mind if I talked his ear off for a change.” Rydel gave me a small smile and then hugged me. “Sometimes you surprise me Ross. I always forget how sweet you can be. Now get up! We have interviews and fans to tend to. Oh and Maia called. She wants you to pick her up in an hour.” Day two here we go...

                I got up and drove home to get a fresh outfit and clean up a bit. On my way out I grabbed a muffin off of the counter. As I pulled up to Maia’s I finished the last of my muffin and quickly hopped out of the car leaving it running. Walking up to the door, my brain was thinking like a mile a minute about how today was going to be hard. Hopefully it went well. Maia came out before I had even knocked. She kissed my cheek and gave me a quick hug. “Good morning. So what’s on the agenda for the day?” We started walking back to the car and I outlined all of the things that we had to do. “Well first we have a Good Morning America appearance to make followed by a Radio Disney crash. We then have a live YouTube chat with the fans. When all that is done you and I will be heading out to dinner. How does that sound?

                “Sounds like a full day. Dinner is exciting though.” I squeezed her hand and started the car, first stop GMA studios. Our day went by relatively quickly with some serious depression. Each interviewer focused on the relationships of Rydellington and what was now being called Raia. Rydellington was asked all the deep couple questions while we were asked if our relationship was hard to handle after the accident. And ofcourse Riker was why we were having these things so Rocky was constantly asked to explain the accident about 50 times to reporters, interviewers, fans and just curious people. Surprisingly most of the interviewers saw Maia in a positive way. It wasn’t until the YouTube live chat that things got out of hand. The R5 family were not interested in forgiving Maia.

                In fact they so badly wanted to hater her. One fan went as far as to say “i’m sorry you guys rock but I am not her fan; I am yours and because of her, one of you is currently dying. That is not okay with me and never will be!” Maia said she was okay but they were saying some pretty nasty things to her and about her. Nobody could hear that stuff and not internalize some of it. Rydel and Ellington had done a great job of fighting them back. They basically took turns defending Maia talking about how she was innocent and had our full support. That had managed to win over a few fans after a while but there were still a lot of haters.

                Finally the day came to an end and I told my family Maia and I were going out. They all headed off to enjoy the rest of their evening and Maia and I headed to the fanciest restaurant I could find. We had a nice romantic dinner and I learned a lot about her childhood and what it was like growing up in Australia. She talked about her love for nature and surfing and how my family reminded her of home. We spent 3 hours just talking about everything and anything and it would have turned out so perfect had it not been for the crazy ass waitress. She was probably about my age, maybe 17. She must have been watching us for a while because all of a sudden she was at our table literally shouting at Maia.

                “How could you show your face in public with him knowing his brother is in the hospital because of you? You should be the one in that hospital!” Oh and she didn’t stop there. Before I had even had a chance to speak, this crazy girl grabbed my soda and dumped it all over Maia. Instantly I was up and moving this waitress away from her. “ARE YOU CRAZY? Look girl I don’t care if you’re the biggest fan in the world or if you are in love with Riker or whatever! You do not attack someone in the middle of a restaurant for any reason! What gives you the right to tell her what she can do with me? I am her boyfriend! I will decide what we do and where go with her help...NOT YOURS! You may now cover the cost of our food.” I helped Maia up and stormed out of the restaurant so fast we may have actually left a cloud of smoke behind.

                When we got to the car I pulled a blanket out of the trunk and wrapped her in it before helping her sit down. As I got in and pulled away, I couldn’t help but feel horrible. I had been the one to drag her out after all the publicity stuff today. This was all on my. “Babe i’m so sorry. I should have stopped her I wish I had thought about the possibility that people wouldn’t just be happy about us.” She rubbed my face with the palm of her non-sticky hand.  “Ross, it’s okay. It’s not your fault. Some people are just horrible and we have to take the bad with the good. I had a great time tonight. And besides I got us dinner for free.” If I couldn’t see the despair in her eyes I may have actually believed her. But I knew this night had made her feel even worse and I didn’t know what to do about it. After dropping her off I decided that I should make a stop at the hospital. I probably was freaking out over nothing but I felt like I had to see Riker. As I got to his floor I could hear shouting coming down the hall.

                Getting closer I recognized Rocky’s voice, but who was he shouting at? “I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU SAY! YOU PROMISED US A WEEK! WHY ARE YOU EVEN CONSIDERING THIS RIGHT NOW?” Well that didn’t sound good. When I heard the second voice my heart dropped. Dad and Rocky were arguing about pulling the plug on Riker...tonight!”