6.

April 1992

"You sure, boss? You want me to drop you here?"

Tim looks out at the darkened building before swiveling to face me.

"Yeah." My voice conveys more confidence than I feel. To be honest, I've no idea why I'm here. Yesterday, I'd told Cassie that the final rehearsal would go late; she'd replied cheerily, oh, perfect, meet me at Royal Albert Hall at half eleven.

"Do you want me to wait?" He looks anxious as if he's leaving me somewhere much dodgier than South Kensington.

"I can manage, but thanks. And head home--I'll take a taxi back."

Hopping out of the car, I look up at the imposing domed roof in front of me. What the bloody hell does Cassie have up her sleeve?

"Psssst!"

I look to the right.

"No, over here!"

Cassie's disembodied voice, sounding as if she's about to explode in giggles, floats my way. I spin around to see her standing on the other side of Kensington Road illuminated by a single street lamp. She's wrapped in a navy trenchcoat with her hair pulled back under a hat. Something about the whole get-up screams spy! and I wonder if she is, indeed, MI5.

"Hello there," she calls over as I cross the empty street, thoroughly bewildered. Usually, I'm not a huge fan of surprises, but the smiling face in front of me might just change my mind.

"Hey, you." We stare at each other for a moment before I lean in to kiss her cheek. Just because we've snogged at the end of a lunch date doesn't mean she wants me all over her from the moment I arrive, right?!

"Are you ready?" She's practically bouncing with excitement, and it's so fucking adorable.

"Depends; where are we off to?"

With a mischievous grin, Cassie points and my eyes scan the silhouette of giant oak trees behind her.

"Hyde Park? Is it even open this late?"

"Well," Cassie says, taking my hand to tug me forward. "Technically, it closes at midnight. But, practically speaking, it never closes since it's not as if they can lock it up for the night."

"Is it... safe? This late at night, I mean."

She whirls around to look at me with amusement. "Kensington Palace is literally right there, Mr. Taylor." She points to the left, where the palace is glittering with lights. I idly wonder if Princess Di will bear witness to us sneaking into what basically is her backyard.

"Alright, then," I say, briefly squeezing her hand. "If it's good enough for the royals, then it's good enough for me. Lead the way, Miss Waters."

Cassie sets off, clearly with a destination in mind. There are a few other people in the park, all of whom are walking towards the exit, not creeping further into the gardens like we are.

"Where are you taking me?"

"You'll see."

"Will my virtue be safe?" I ask playfully. 

"Well, I can't promise that."

We continue down the windy path for a good ten minutes before she stops to get her bearings. After a moment, she nods decisively, and we bear to the left. Five minutes later, we're in a small field that I've never seen before, despite all my years living in London.

"Ta-da! This is it." Cassie turns, grabbing my other hand so that we're standing close.

"This is... what, exactly?" I can't keep the smile out of my voice. Cassie walks to the middle of the grassy area and beckons me to follow. Once there, she begins to sit--no, to lay down--and I balk.