The End

Everything was dark...until it wasn't.

I flinched at the sound of birds chirping around me and shivers ran down my spine as I felt the wind gently caressing my face. The sun shone right down on me and I had to shield my eyes with my hand when I finally opened them. But I'm eternally glad that I did.

"Y/N." It was nothing but a whisper, yet I just knew that she had heard me. Her lips stretched into the grin I had missed so much, showing her dimples while the skin around her eyes creased slightly. "You sure took your sweet time."

I was on my feet immediately and after carefully reaching out to touch her, I evolved her in a tight hug. "Y/N." She chuckled and the way her body moved against mine felt as natural as it always had. I had her back.

Her arms were wrapped around my waist and I knew that she had missed me just as much, but never more, than I had missed her. Maybe equally as much.

After what felt like an eternity, we pulled apart. I looked down at her and I felt my lips twitch into a smile. A genuine one. Something that I haven't done in a long way. "Am I...?" She nodded. "How?" She rolled her eyes before she smirked at me. "Old age. You really made me wait, y'know?" She chuckled again and before I knew it, my lips met hers in a passionate kiss.

I had always been bad with words, so I tried to convey all my sadness, longing and relieve with that one kiss. I'm pretty sure she got it.

Someone behind her coughed, catching our attention. It was Erwin.

As if on instinct, Y/N took a step back, more or less getting out of the way as I ran into the open arms of my old friend. He chuckled and hugged me back with both of his arms. By now, tears were running down my face. "I missed you, Levi." I didn't respond, just tightened my hug.

"Captain!" We could hear multiple sets of footsteps running towards us and when I looked up, it was them. All of them.

Sasha, Connie and Jean were together as usual, all of them with a grin on their face. Bertholdt and Reiner were also together, close behind the other three. Ymir and Historia were holding hands, walking towards us at a slower pace.

And then there was the other trio I was looking for. Armin, Mikasa...and Eren.

I took a deep breath, wanting to say something, but before I could, they all lined up in front of me and saluted. I chocked and had to hide my face behind my hands. "I hate all of you." They started to chuckle and broke their line to form a group hug around me.

When we all let go, Eren stayed. "I'm sorry Captain. For everything." I nodded and quickly hugged him. "I know, brat."

We all talked for a bit, until Y/N gently placer her hand on my back. "There are others who are waiting to see you." I nodded and quickly grabbed her hand, intertwining our fingers, before the two of us started to walk down the small hill on which I woke up.

I once again heard the word 'Captain' ring through the air, just to find my old squad waiting for me! They all smiled at me, Petra jumping up and down while waving. I walked up to them and before they could, I saluted them. "I'm sorry I couldn't save any of you." They all shook their heads, before Petra stepped up to me. "We knew what we were in for. Thank you for remembering us."

I hugged them all, before Y/N offered me her hand again, leading me along. "More?" She chuckled and nodded. "Are you just now realizing how many lives you touched and changed, Levi?" I had to think about that for a second. I never thought that I changed anything. But...this is proof that I did.

Next were Isabel and Farlan, as well as Kenny. We reminisced in old times and both Isabel and Farlan thanked me for showing them the world beyond the underground before they died. "You wouldn't have died if I didn't." Isabel huffed. "We would have sooner or later. You just showed us a beautiful sight before that happened." I tried to argue back, but Farlan made a gesture, letting me know that it would be useless to try. Instead, I chuckled and pulled the girl into a hug. "Thank you for always being cheerful, Isabel."

I didn't expect who was next. I didn't forget about her, but I had just accepted that I would never see her again. "Mom."

Her arms wrapped around me tightly and she wouldn't let go of me for at least a few minutes. "I'm proud of you, Levi. I am proud that you are my son." I smiled at her and hugged her once more.

"Now go. There is someone else waiting." I furrowed my brows. Who else would be there?

"Come." Y/N pulled on my hand and we finally reached a small village. She led me through it, past many people. Soldiers as well as civilians I saw die. Young and old, sick and healthy.

Y/N led me to a small house on the outskirts of the town and I could hear it from outside. "Crap. I told them to take care of him." Y/N rushed to the door and opened it. I followed her, knowing what I was going to see.

"Ssshhhh. Sssshhhh come on. Your mother will kill me if I ruin the surprise." There they were. Hange, holding a tiny bundle of blankets in their arms. They looked up as soon as they heard the door open and grinned at Y/N and me. "I'm sorry, he missed you." Y/N chuckled, oh how I missed that sound, and walked over to them. "It's okay. I think you two could use a moment. I'll give you two some space." She walked into the next room, leaving me and the crazy scientist alone. "I-." "Are there any new discoveries with the titans?" Their eyes were open wide and I could almost see drool running down their chin. Were they serious? After all they had done, this is what they say when we meet again?

I walked over to my old colleague. "Do you really want to know, four-eyes?" They vigorously nodded their head, so I beckoned them to lean down. They did without hesitation, putting them at perfect height for me to flick their forehead. "The hell Levi! What was that?" I didn't answer, but instead hugged them. "I missed you, Hange." They hesitated for a second, before hugging me back. "I missed you too, Levi."

We pulled away from the hug, when soft cries echoed from another room. "Go, you deserve to see your son, Levi."

I walked in to find Y/N sitting on a couch, the bundle of blankets in her arms. "You know, babies that have only one parent up here only start growing when the second one arrives." She looked up and smiled at me. "I mean, they do get birthed, but after that, they wait." I sat down next to Y/N and looked at the small human, now smiling up at me. "When...?" Y/N chuckled. "I found out a few days before...it all happened. I wanted to tell you in the right way, but that moment never came." I leaned my forehead against her shoulder and let out a shivering breath.

"I love you Y/N." She looked up and grinned. "You better." I huffed, but never stopped smiling. "That's not the answer I was expecting." She grinned before she leaned over and pressed a kiss to my head. "I love you too, my brave soldier. Now rest. You deserve it."