Chapter 1

I've been in this dump for seven years. There's always rats falling from the ceiling, new kids coming in with injuries everyday, and we're only allowed showers once every other month. Gross, right?

Guess what, today's not my day. Tomorrow is.

"Hi, Raya," Crutchie grinned, sitting up on his bed. I gotta be honest, I feel bad for him. The kid's parents kicked him out because he had polio, he's Jack's best friend, and knows the boys who escaped the night I was brought in. Jack had been in here for one day about three years ago. The boys who got out and didn't take me with them, I hated. How could they?

"Raya?" Crutchie asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. "You good?"

"Um, yeah," I smiled, shaking my head.

"Sure?" He asked, brown eyes concerned.

"Yeah, just thinking about my brother."

"Oh."

"How's your leg?" I asked, looking toward the door as Morris Delancey shoved a small boy through the metal door.

"Fine. Go help the kid," the dusty blond smiled, nodding toward the kid lying on the floor shuddering.

"Good. I'll come back in a bit," I approached the kid.

"You's not gonna hurt me are ya?" He asked, blue eyes shining through his endless supply of bruises and dirt.

"No, I's here ta help ya," I smiled gently, offering my hand to him.

"How's you gonna help?" He asked, eyes flicking between my hand and eyes.

"Takin' care of ya like I do with the others," I motioned to the rest of the kids.

"Oh," he sighed, taking my hand and following me to the bed Crutchie and I share. It's always two or three people to a bed. Lucky for Crutchie, I don't really sleep fight. At least, I don't think so. Remind me to ask Crutchie about it later.

"What hurts?" I asked, quickly scanning the boy. I guessed he had a bit of a concussion and possibly a sprained wrist from the way he was acting.

"My head," he said.

"Anything else?" I asked, tearing another piece of my dress off.

"My wrist hurts a little," he gave in, kinda collapsing on Crutchie's lap. He was asleep now.

"Can you watch him while I run and get some water?"

"Sure," Crutchie agreed.

I slipped out of the room, heading down the hallway as quick as possible and getting a pale of water, taking it back. I was the only orphan who was actually allowed out of the room. Being here for seven years definitely has its perks. I grabbed a couple cloths from the closet as well, throwing them over my shoulder before reentering the room. I then approached both dusty blond boys, kneeling and tending to the new kid's wounds.

"He's been whimpering, something about a fire," Crutchie explained while I was wrapping the kid's wrist.

"Thanks," I smiled.

"Raya?" Billy asked, face poking over the edge of the top bunk.

"Yes?" I looked up, meeting his green eyes with my brown ones.

"Why is the bulls outside with Mr. Snyder?"

"They're not-" I trailed off once noticing Billy's discovery. I watched as Snyder wound up to punch one of them, "Billy, close your eyes, now!"

"Why?" Instead of answering, I placed a hand over his eyes. A seven-year-old boy shouldn't be seeing this sort of stuff. There wasn't anything I could do about Crutchie, the Newsies were always getting into fights.

"Miss?" The new boy asked, sitting up.

"Yes?" I asked, taking Billy off his bed. Tommy had died yesterday, he just couldn't handle the conditions.

"What's your name?"

"Raya. What's yours?" I grinned, positioning myself between the boys and the window so they couldn't see.

"Ben," he said proudly.

"Nice ta meet ya," I smiled.

"Hello?" A gruff voice called from outside.

"We's in here!" I hollered, knowing someone was looking for us. When a man in a blue uniform entered the room, everyone stood up and started trying to get out.

"Single file, you're safe now," the officer smiled.

"C'mon!" I yelped, ushering everyone out in a mostly decent line, helping Crutchie while following him and the others into Newsie Square. Governor Roosevelt was standing next to who I thought was my brother.

"Hey, Crutchie's back!" A blond boy yelled, pointing. I handed the cripple his crutch, and let him hobble over to the others. Every one of the kids in the Refuge had someone to go to. I didn't know where or who to go to.

"Ray?" The boy next to Roosevelt asked, eyes wide.

"Um...yeah?" I asked, hopeful.

"Oh my God! I thought I'd lost ya three years ago!" He yelled, practically jumping down and running over in about three steps, finally embracing me.

"You's crushin' me, Jack," I laughed, whacking him.

"Oh, sorry. Lemme introduce ya to the fellas," he grinned, pulling me along behind him. There were two boys whom I recognized almost instantly. I stopped, pulling away from my twin and marching straight up to them.

I swear there was smoke coming out of my ears. "Well, hello, Princess," the blond grinned, flicking a cigar into his mouth.

"Don't call me that," I growled, clenching and unclenching my fists.

"Okay, Princess," he laughed, elbowing the ginger beside him.

"C'mon, Race. Could ya tone down the flirting for one second?" Jack asked playfully.

"Nah, she's too pretty," Race laughed. I shoved him backward, a little bit more forceful than originally intended. Seven years in the Refuge had given me more strength that I had even imagined I could have. I mean, I had known I was going to be strong when I got older, but the amount of time I had and the constant scuffels with the Delancey's had built it up.

IF you're wondering why I'm constantly in an argument or fight with the Delancey's, here's why: the kids. I was always ready to protect the kids at all costs, even if it meant taking a few blows. I learned to avoid the physical attacks, but the mental stuff was harsh.

(A/N: Soooo, first chapter already sucks. Hopefully it gets better.)