4: Constellations

FOUR
Constellations

best daughter ever :DD -
are u home yet

best daughter ever :DD -
when are u gonna be home

best daughter ever :DD -
it starts at 7:30

Elias was at a red light, and he took the opportunity to check his messages. He heard his phone buzz three times in a row, and he wasn't surprised to see Mars' contact blinking at him.

He glanced at the time. It was 7, so he had time.

dad (-: -
I'll be home in 5

best daughter ever :DD -
ok

He muffled a laugh behind his hand. Generally, you would expect a child to have more energy over text and use emojis. But the truth was that kids were far more dry than actual adults when it came to texting.

Just as the light turned green, he heard his phone buzz again. He hoped she wasn't asking for anything, because he wasn't the type to even touch his phone when he wasn't stopped at a light or parked.

However, when he parked in the driveway, he was surprised to find the message wasn't from Mars at all.

Roman -
I'm able to come by now, if that's okay

He had almost forgotten about the shitty lock. Before he could type out a response, he heard Mars' voice shout for him, and he looked up to see her running to his car, backpack bouncing off her back with each step.

He pocketed his phone and killed the engine, getting out to meet the ecstatic thirteen year old. "I gotta pack, gotta get ready," she told him, rushing up to the front door, bouncing on her heels. "Dad. Hurry up. You're so slow."

"I'm taking my time, you little brat," he said, shoving his thumb against her forehead. She rolled her eyes and darted into the house when he opened the door, racing upstairs and to her room. He hoped she would pack the right things.

He took that chance to drop down onto the sofa and reply to Roman's message.

Elias -
Are you sure? It's getting dark out

Roman -
Yeah it's fine, it's just a lock (: I would've offered tomorrow, but Marco is going to keep me hostage all day

Elias smiled against the back of his hand. So he had a sense of humor and used faces. The latter was the most surprising.

Elias -
Okay, I'll text you when you can come by. I'll give you my address then. I have to take Mars to a friend's house

Roman -
Take your time

"Dad! I can't find any clothes!"

"They're down here!" he called back, setting his phone down to head to the laundry room. He had planned on putting them away in her room once he got home. He heard her thundering footsteps until she was darting over to his side.

She started going through them, and it physically pained Elias to see her shove around clothes he finished ironing the night before. "A-ha," she voiced, holding up a swimsuit.

He frowned. "She has a pool?"

"Yep!"

"Be careful. I don't — "

"Dad," Mars groaned, letting her arms flop down. "I'm fine. There's gonna be adults."

Elias exhaled quietly. "I know. You're right. But still."