.21

| Daisy |

Every girl around me turned their head at me as if saying is she drunk? Is she outta her mind?

Furious whispers broke out . Some were openly giving me a scathing look . Some just watched with glee for the ultimate showdown.

The cheerleader vs me.

I hate to be the one to burst their teenage fantasy bubble but there was not going to be any cat fight , anything that had the word fight in, that too over a guy.

Cat fight was the lowest thing I could do for him and I wouldn't go below the belt . Ever.

I was simply heading towards him.

He was watching me intently, an interest flaring up in those eyes.. . a slight humor that only I could detect. Still watching me, he leaned in over the table . .as if wanting to see whether I would quack away or make it to him?

Jessica snapped something at her friend , her cat eyes glaring at me. Not just her.

But everyone at her table.

So I kept my walk slow and relaxed. In no hurry . The burst of confidence that I was getting all of sudden was. . . only because of him.

Because his eyes were only on me.

That just got the hallelujah up in my head.

His eyebrows raised when i pulled the chair back confidently and sat down on it. In front of him. .the dirty table between us.

I shot him a small smile.

Which he didn't return.

"What's up?" I asked in the most normal way possible. Like it was an every day routine of mine to piss off the female population of this building.

Dean leaned back against the chair, his eyes not wavering off of my face even for second.

" You tell me."

Okaaayyy.

"Well what do you wanna know?" I asked liking the way his hair fell over his forehead.

He kept looking at me and then. .

"I want to know why you did this. " His green eyes were unreadable. .it was obvious. .he wasn't letting me in. Not just yet.

"Did what?" I widened my eyes a little.

Dean just sighed and then looked out the window. .the natural lighting catching his jawline.

"Can you be honest with me, Daisy?" He asked softly.

"Yeah, I guess."

Then slowly he glanced at me, eyes piercing mine.

"Are you insecure about me?"

That kind of got my mind off the stunt I pulled in front of people. The cherry smile went for the hills as I really thought about what he just said. .

Did he?

But then he did ask me to be honest. .

So I glanced down at the dirty table , an array of cellphone numbers scratched on it.

"A little." My voice was low so only he could hear it and not all the ears around straining to hear our conversation.

"How much is little?"

My eyes was still downcast because this was such a in your face kind of question and the fact that we weren't even in. .I don't know. .any relationship?

I swallowed.

"I see them, the beautiful ones trying to catch your eyes and well. .I'm not exactly the face of beautiful or close to that and -"

Shut up ,Daisy!

"That's about it." My voice got stuck in my throat. This was embarrassing. Who talked about insecurities?

"Look at me." He said in a calm manner.

And I did. .look up. . finding him sombre. I have no idea why but I thought he was going to make fun of me. .

This time he leaned in on the table, arms crossed over the table.

"There's beautiful and then . .there's you. Beautiful is a word. It can never define you. " He said a finality in his voice as if he believed what he said to me. Every word of it.

And that just. .my mind was still processing what he said and . .it had to be one of the most powerful line I had ever heard about myself. .

My mouth went dry because how do you reply to that?

"Thanks." I mumbled the lamest reply ever.

"Don't fret over what others do to catch my eye . Don't look at them . Look at me. My actions. My eyes. .where they roam. .you can tell a lot about a man just by the look of his eyes. Daisy, judge me for what I do. Not what others do." He said it all in a smooth manner.

Flooring me.

Because that's what I was doing .If girls wanted to throw themselves at him . . .I shouldn't have a problem with that.

I should only look out for him.

"That. . does make sense." I accepted . . nodding.

He didn't comment on it further .

"You should know , if I'm sitting here by your side it's only because . .you have been kind to me when I was hard on myself. " He said his voice void of any emotion.

"I told you I'll be there for you. Always. " My voice was steady and determined. I meant what I said.

"But you don't even know my story." He smirked earning a smile from me.

"I'm all ears when you decide to spill it." I said grinning now.

He kept staring at me for a moment too long like he was contemplating something and then in the most casual way he said. .

"I have an appointment with my psychiatrist at 6 P.M."

This was so not what I was expecting! A what? An appointment at what?!!

I really really tried to not let my shock and disbelief show all over my face.

"Um. . what?"

It was as if he didn't hear me at all because he kept going in that casual voice of his.

"Why? Because I had a dysfunctional family. Mom died giving me birth. Dad wasn't around much. I have two older brothers. One of them is dead and the other I don't know about. "

His brother died?

So that's why. . .

"Is. .is that why you go to a psychiatrist? To cope with your brother's death? "I was hesitant. So so hesitant. .I didn't want to push at his boundaries.

"No. I was trying to give you a summary of my. .history. The reason I had to go to a therapist is because I had toxic traits. I'm working on it. " He said again in that no big deal voice.

So freaking much to digest . My brain went haywire trying to catch what he said. Trying not to freak out. Every line of his was being questioned by my heart. .

Never did I think he would spill over at a cafeteria full of people, over a dirty table !

That's not how people spill their secrets right?

"Toxic traits?' I repeated looking at his expression less face.

"I bullied people. Mentally. Girl. .boy. . anything with feelings. "He shrugged.

"Got it. .. is this why you didn't - wouldn't let me in?" I asked slowly. Looking at his face for any reaction.

He didn't let an emotion escape.

"I have been through some fucked up shit all by myself so. . . sorry if I act like I don't need anyone. "

×××××××××××××××