1. Determination

"But I am useless!"

Those words rang out throughout the whole mansion, scaring away a flock of birds. Each single passerby, unused to the boy's antics, nearly died from a heart attack brought on by the atrocious scream. They stopped in their tracks and averted their gaze towards the gigantic house. Because, to be honest: this was not really something you could have easily ignored.

However, the people working at the house kept on executing their tasks properly. They seemed unfazed, and they were. They had already growned... accustomed to seeing their master throwing a tantrum. Zenitsu Agatsuma was most of the time a loud crybaby, but an enjoyable one at last.

"I guess our master is back at it... mumbled Murata, a young housekeeper.

- I'm rather astonished it's only the first time of the week... retorted Rengoku, an amazing cook who had been creating the most delicious dishes for the household for about a decade.

- But it's Monday afternoon...

- Only? Fuck... When's weekend coming around?

- Hey! interrupted Zenitsu. You know I can hear you all!

- Yes, sighed Murata, because you have 'an incredible sense of hearing', blablabla. We got it! But we can hear as well, you know? So no need to shout, you angry orange-headed mop!"

This would seem quite informal coming from a simple housekeeper to his master, as anyone might say, but they considered each other as close friends. As loud as Zenitsu could be, his kindness made everyone become gradually fond of him at some point. He was really good at that. You could say it was one of the only thing he was good at...

Zenitsu's Gramps cleared his voice, bringing the attention back on him

"As I was saying, he resumed, you are not as useless as you may think you are, little brat.

- But I am!

- Zenitsu ! You've been learning the thunder breathing technique for about ten years! Even though you only know the first form, you master it better than I have seen someone do that throughout my entire life!

- So why does it feel like I fail everything! burst out Zenitsu, bawling his eyes out. Why does everything I do seem useless and imperfect...

- It doesn't.

- It does to me! 

- Because you lack self-confidence! Do you ever wonder why you are capable of doing much better unconscious than awake, Zenitsu? Because, as far as I'm concerned, it's still the same person fighting!"

Silence fell.

"Listen Zenitsu, carried on Gramps while getting closer to him and wiping his tears away, I know I'm not always the affectionate type. But I will say it this time and this time only: unconscious or awake, you are still as strong as ever. Set this fear aside and go forth, because you are capable of it."

Zenitsu was astounded. Such kindness in the worlds of his Gramps was music to his ear. He started to cry again, but those were different tears. They were carried by joy and affection. Something he was craving forever since his biological parents abandoned him. Something Gramps gave him by accepting to train and house him within this incredible mansion. 

Another long silence fell. Gramps stepped away from the dandelion-haired boy to get some tissues, which Zenitsu used to suppress the never-ending waterfalls coming out of the golden sources of his eyes. A wind blow went through the window and lifted some strands off of his forehead.

"I'll consider it...

- At last! exclaimed Gramps, feeling like this argument had been going on forever. Alright... Just hurry up, because the tournament starts next week. If you don't decide quickly enough, I'll kick the answer out of you during our next training.