Prologue

Grosvenor Square – August 1794

The Bridgerton House sat nestled between two fairly large brick houses, but not nearly as grand in size. The exterior brick was draped with deep purple wisteria and drew your eye immediately to the exquisite home. The streets of Grosvenor Square were particularly quiet on this Thursday afternoon, but the nursery room of the Bridgerton House, was anything but.

Violet Bridgerton and Amelia Wellington sat across from each other inside the brightly lit drawing room chattering over a cup of tea. It had become an unspoken tradition for Violet and Amelia to meet twice a week over a cup of tea whilst their little ones played together in the upstairs nursery room.

Colin Bridgerton and Lucy Wellington were the exact same age, and three years old was quite a rambunctious age, indeed. The Bridgerton household nanny was watching them carefully, ensuring that the boisterous toddlers were not causing too much commotion or injury to each other. Daphne Bridgerton, Colin's younger sister, was nearly two-years-old and whilst she tried to insert herself into Colin and Lucy's games, she was rejected on more than one occasion, due to Colin and Lucy being too enamored with each other.

"I do say," said Lady Wellington as she sipped her tea, "I was rather pleased when I gave birth to Lucy. She is so close in age to your Colin, I do imagine they will be a fine match for each other when they are older."

"They do seem to love each other dearly," agreed Lady Bridgerton. "I only hope they will remain this close as they age."

"Where are your eldest boys?" inquired Lady Wellington, "It seems rather quiet around here today."

"They're off with their father," answered Lady Bridgerton as she refilled her teacup, "he took them out shooting this afternoon. I expect they will be back within the hour. I like to keep them out as much as possible. The more tired they return, the better."

Lady Wellington chuckled.

"I'm terribly jealous of you, Violet, if I may be so brash. You have such a large and lovely family... I only wish Henry were still alive. I would have loved to give Lucy a brother or a sister."

Violet's face fell as she leaned forward and placed a comforting hand on Amelia's arm.

"You are welcome in my home any time, Amelia," cooed Lady Bridgerton, "as well as Lucy. I know how difficult Henry's passing must have been for you, but you must let me know if there is anything I can do for you."

Tears welled in Amelia's eyes as she thanked her dearest friend. Henry Wellington had passed away nearly a year after Lucy's birth from Influenza. Amelia had loved her husband, which had much to say in today's high society. Most young women married for wealth and protection. It was very uncommon for a young lady to marry based off the foundation of love. You were lucky enough if you found someone you'd consider a friend. With that, Amelia was very thankful indeed, and could only pray that one day her dear Lucy would find the same.

Hyde Park – June 1803

"Colin Bridgerton! You better get back here right now before I push you into the mud!" bellowed Lucy Wellington, chasing after her best friend Colin Bridgerton. Eloise Bridgerton, Colin's other younger sister, wasn't trailing far behind them.

Hyde Park was fairly crowded on this particular Sunday. The Bridgerton and Wellington families had decided to take advantage of the beautiful day and to get the children out of the house to expend some energy.

The Bridgerton family had grown by four, now totaling at eigtht Bridgerton children. Unfortunately however, Lord Bridgerton had unexpectedly passed away last year, leaving the eldest son Anthony Bridgerton as Viscount and head of the household at a mere age of eighteen.