Swearing Fealty

(Richard begins his work as king)

JUNE 1521

The soon to be 36 year old Richard entered the throne room with Freja and their children. Everyone bowed and curtsied as the new king and queen sat on the throne, with the boar flag raised high up.

Envoys from all Europe and traders who had made connections with England came to pay their respect to new King of England. They brought gifts and some, Richard bestowed them to the lords that helped him win back the crown.

He also rewarded the Englishmen who had helped him with Orders of Knight of the Garter, lands and titles. Even Drew and Robyn received the order, as well as being knighted.

Thomas More stepped forward, bowing before Richard. The new king tapped his fingers, softly chuckling.

"You should thank God that you didn't publish that atrocity less you want your head to roll off your shoulders", said Richard.

More merely kept his head down. "Your Grace is ever merciful and I'm thankful that you would spare my life".

"You should thank my cousin, Lady Pole...".

"...Anyway, I have a task for you, Sir Thomas More".

More knelt down as Richard bestowed him with a knighthood. "You are to be made Royal Tutor for my children, especially Prince of Wales".

"I will serve you well, Your Grace".

"And I thank you..., for standing up against my brother's Great Matter".

Henry, Wolsey, Boleyn and whoever had sided with them were brought in before Richard. Henry looked up to see his brother, clad in his usual colour, but with grander clothes to match his new status.

Richard got up and paced. "What to do with you? I wonder...".

"Death!", one of the Nevilles suggested.

"Oh, that is assured, my lord. Do not worry", Richard chuckled.

"You would kill your own brother?", Henry scoffed.

"Perhaps, that is yet to be determined".

Henry looked around. He spotted Catherine and their daughter, who was hiding behind her mother's skirt.

"Mary? Mary, it's me, your father", Henry tried to beckon the child to him, but to no avail.

"Do not drag her into this, Henry", Catherine chimed in.

Henry turned to see Bessie with their son. "Henry, come. It's your father", he beckoned but the boy didn't move.

Richard smirked as he ruffled his nephew's hair. "Henry FitzRoy, Duke of Richmond knows where his allegiance is".

"You can't get away with this!", Henry spat.

Richard tapped the crown on his head. He turned to Boleyn and Wolsey.

"Wolsey is to be sent up north. He is, after all, Archbishop of York. He will perform his duties and stay there".

"But who will take the position of Canterbury?", Stafford asked.

The door opened and entered the 21 year old Reginald Pole, clad in white and red. He bowed before his uncle the king.

"Reginald Pole is to take the Canterbury office", said Richard.

Maggie smiled proudly at her son, who stood by her side. Reggie nodded, thanking his uncle.

"Sir Thomas Boleyn...", Richard sat back down and tapped his fingers by the armrest.