Two

You're sitting in the crow's nest of the huge ship, shaking in your whole body.

The crew is dead. You're the only one left alive.

The one who killed every single soul.

A nine-year-old child, alone in the middle of the Grand Line, surrounded with corpses.

Too scared to move, too afraid of hurting anyone else.

You huddle yourself up and bury your face to your knees, whispering that it's not real. It can't be.

Steps sound on the wooden deck down below.

-Don't come closer! -you cry.

A loud crack sounds and the mainmast breaks into two pieces. You scream as the crow's nest reaches the deck and you fall out of it.

-What are you doing here? -asks a scary-looking man standing opposite you. You shake your head and bite your lip, trying to stop your tears.

He sighs and crouches to you.

-Do you have a home to return to?

You whisper no.

The man takes a deep breath.

-Can you take care of yourself? -he asks and you nod. -Then I have a place where you can live.

You pout and he tsk-s. Then you see as he forces a smile on his face.

-You look scary. -you whisper and his eye twitches.

-I am. But now, come. I can't leave a child on a ship full of dead bodies.

He grabs your hand and starts pulling you to his little ship.

-I don't want to! Don't bring me back! -you scream, trying to run away.

He grumbles and picks you up, hugging you carefully. He's clearly uncomfortable with the situation.

-I won't hurt you, so try to shut up. Noisy little girl.

You frown.

-Are you a pirate? -you ask silently, clenching to his arm.

-Sort of. My name is-

Rosinante's voice ends your memory and you jerk up.

-Is cherry flavor okay for you? -he asks, meddling with the kettle above the fire.

-Yes... But where did you get all these things?

-I bought them in the town while you were asleep. Sorry for leaving you alone. -he smiles.

-Why are you so kind? -you ask curiously and he lours.

-Excuse me?

-I asked why are you kind to me.

-Why wouldn't I?

Well... I don't know.

He smiles and gives you a cup of tea.

-Be careful, it's hot.

-Thanks.

Rosinante stands up again to continue barricading the broken windows.

-I can fix them with my Devil Fruit. -you offer.

-You just focus on growing your leg. -he says, holding the next nail with his painted lips as he sets the next board.