xxxiv

the sleepless elite

;;

chapter thirty-four

;;

"Wait, how do you know I have a recipe book? You were literally occupied with my mom the entire time we were home." Chase raises a brow as he stares at Darling's face.

"It was when you were abroad for a year. I missed you." Darling admits shyly, feeling heat rushing to her face.

"Aww," Chase coos then realises something. "Wait, you broke in?"

"Sometimes," Darling says. "Most times I convinced Ace (with bagels) to let me hang out there."

Note to self, never leave Ace to house sit ever again. Chase tells himself then gives her a look because they've discussed this – years ago.

"It's no big deal, we live there together now." Darling reasons, brushing aside her husband's worries. They had bigger things to worry about.

;;

Darling's tucked her rings into the pocket of her leather jacket while Chase has tucked his wedding ring into his jeans. Logically, it would be best to just leave the rings at home, but it felt criminal enough taking the rings off that the both of them couldn't think of parting away from the symbol of their matrimony.

When Chase and Darling pull up on the driveway of the Charming estate, Darling hops off the Red Knight with careful grace and takes off her helmet while Chase clams up and retrieves the bottle of pina colada from the small storage compartment.

"If I die tonight, I just want you to know that I love you." Chase says while staring at the big house with a gulp. He could feel his anxiety build up all over again, it was like he was with his mom all over again, only this time, there were two parents.

"You're not going to die." Darling says but bites her lower lip regardless.

Then she spots her two brothers hiding by the entrance windows, peeking behind curtains. It's like they were waiting to stake the Redfords out. Darling takes a deep breath, her hand reaches out to clasp Chase's, if they were going to do this, they were going to do it together. A small smile forms on her lips as she feels Chase give a small reassuring squeeze

"Let's do this." She says.

With that, the Redfords approached the front door, then –

"Chase,"

"Yeah?"

"Ring the doorbell."

Chase looks down at his occupied hands; one holding the bottle of alcohol and the other grasping Darling's small hand. "But that means letting go of your hand and I don't think I can do that. I need courage."

"I'm scared too."

"It's your house, Darling. Shouldn't you be the one to ring it?"

"I'm living with you now, remember? Technically, I've already moved out, Mother and Father just don't know that, yet." Darling says sheepishly.

Chase sighs, well this is another secret to keep? Maybe? Then he takes a deep breath and rings the bell.

A brief silence elapses over them before the sound of Daring and Dexter arguing in low mutters, some shoving and footsteps approach the door alerted them that Mr and Mrs Charming won't be their first obstacle.