Epilogue

That night, they returned to Ramandu's Island, whereupon the Lone Islanders were able to take some rest and food, in preparation for the long journey home.

The absence of Edmund, Lucy, and Eustace was obvious, but no one said a word. In fact, they seemed more surprised to see Margaret still at Caspian's side than not to see the others.

Drinian had greeted her with sympathy, no doubt seeing the tears still upon her face, and the grief in her eyes.

"Welcome aboard, Your Majesty," he'd said softly. It was a greeting. He was welcoming her home, to Narnia itself.

"Thank you, Drinian."

Lilliandil had come down to them once more, to thank them for defeating the darkness, and to see Margaret again. She told them their rations would not run out until they had reached the Lone Islands, and that no storm would find them on their voyage home. Aslan's protection would be over them.

Upon the Island, they also found that the three remaining lords had awoken, the defeat of the darkness having freed them from their slumber.

With renewed hopes, though something of a lingering sadness on the part of Caspian and Margaret, the Dawn Treader began her journey in reverse upon the first light of morning.

Though the path ahead of them was certain to be months long, Aslan's power allowed the rations to remain, enough even for the Lone Island refugees on board. This time, they certainly did not stop at the island where the golden pool lay. Caspian and Margaret referred to it as Deathwater Island, to ward unsuspecting travelers away, though the crew had taken to calling it Dragon Island, as something of a tribute to Eustace. They passed by Coriakin's Island too, not wishing to disturb his charges, the Dufflepuds, though Caspian and Margaret resolved to visit him again someday.

At last, they reached the Lone Islands. They made port at Narrowhaven on the Island of Doorn, where they had left Lord Bern in charge. Here, they returned the lost ones to their homes and reunited families. In their absence, Lord Bern had made magnificent progress in remaking the Islands. In fact, Narrowhaven scarcely seemed to be the same place at all. Where before, the streets had been drab and lonely, now they bustled with life and color and people.

The Dawn Treader stayed at the Lone Islands for three days, giving them the chance to replenish their supplies, preparing for the last leg of the journey. The other four Lords decided to remain with Lord Bern, to reform the governing council of the Lone Islands, and so, at last, the Narnian crew set out again without them.

Most days, Margaret still couldn't believe that she had been allowed to stay. It felt like a dream sometimes, until she awoke, and found herself still aboard the Dawn Treader, watching the morning light filter through the glass windows of the cabin, with Caspian at her side. Then the reality of it all would settle in, her heart would fill with joy at the realization.

She truly was here, and she had been married to Caspian by Aslan himself.

Standing at the bow, she could see the coastline of Narnia in the distance. They would arrive before dusk.

Caspian came up beside her.

"Cair Paravel used to stand upon the coast, you know," she told him.

"I know," he said. "I have often thought of visiting the ruins, these past three years. But it didn't feel right, without you at my side."

Margaret smiled up at him, taking his hand.

"I am here now," she said, "And... I must admit, some part of me longs to see it. I remember, Edmund and the others, they went there before... It might hurt to see it in such a state, but I think it would do my heart good to revisit that place."