twelve

"Where have you been?"

I was in trouble. I didn't know much these days—I wasn't so sure of anything in my life—but I knew I was in trouble. I walked into the house, sneakily, after being out with David all day. After our lunch at the river, we hung out at his house all day. He even had raspberries in his fridge that I knew he bought specially for me, though he refused to admit it.

My parents were sitting at the table, a white envelope sitting in front of them. I had never seen them there without a meal, and I knew whatever was in the envelope spelled trouble for me.

"Um... with Todd and Corinna," I lied. It was easy to lie these days. They didn't need to know everything I did. I was safe and happy. "Why? Is something wrong?"

Margaret put her head in her hands. My dad took over speaking. "You have a letter. It says it's from Calhoun."

"Who in Calhoun sent me a letter?"

"No," he shook his head. "From Calhoun."

My eyebrows shot up, and my eyes immediately started watering. "Wait, Cal?"

"Obviously," Margaret finally spoke. "Open it in here."

"He addressed it to me," I spoke up for myself finally. "If he wanted to write a letter to you, he would've. It's my letter."

"Luella—"

"No, she's right," Dad said. "It's for her. If she wants to share it, she will."

She stared at him, her snake eyes analyzing his face. Then, she grabbed the letter and lifted it up in the air above her head. I quickly approached and snatched it from her hand before she could change her mind. I said, "I'll be in my room."

"Next time you're out so late, a text would be nice."

"It's only seven thirty."

"Well, you missed dinner," she snarkily replied.

I decided it wasn't worth it to fight, and instead I walked up to my room and locked my door behind me. I sat on the bed for a few moments, hands shaking as I looked over the envelope.

I wouldn't recognize his handwriting, but I just knew it was from him. I could feel his energy practically radiating off of it. Plus, it was addressed to Lulu. He would never do me the dishonor of calling me Luella.

I finally slid my finger underneath the seal and pried it open. It was a piece of notebook paper, the little edges not even ripped off.

Lulu,

Hi.

I don't even know how to start this letter other than hi. And I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I've been gone for so long without speaking to you, and I'm sorry that I left you in Calhoun alone to deal with them. That was shitty of me, and I should've never done it.

The truth is, I simply couldn't live in that house anymore. I couldn't. Mom and Dad... well, you know how they are. I'm sure you knew then, and now that you're grown, you have to know now. They are too much for me, and they always have been.

Growing up in Calhoun, I was different. I knew it since we got elementary school age. I was never going to be their perfect little son, for one reason. I'm gay.

God, it feels like a relief even writing it to you. I'm gay. With that information, you can see why I ran.

What you probably don't know is that I told them. The day before I left, I told them. They obviously didn't take it well. They told me it was a phase that would pass, and if I ever even hinted to anyone in Calhoun, I was as good as dead to them.

I don't mean to use this as an excuse. I understand that I left you there alone, and I will probably feel bad about that for the rest of my life. I wanted to give you a reason. A reason why I left.

Now for the reason I'm writing you. We are getting married. His name is John. He's very tall and very handsome and treats me like I'm beautiful and smart and the most delicate little thing he could have. He takes care of me. He is an angel walking this earth. I could not write enough good things about him if I tried, but I just wanted you to know how good he treats me.

I don't know if you even like gay people. I don't know if you've followed in our parents' footsteps. If you have, I'm sorry for ever writing you. But if you haven't, and in my heart I know you haven't (the Lulu I know has never been one to follow tradition), I'd really like you to come to our wedding.

It's going to be July 7th in New York City. If you write back, I'll send you more information. I know that's kind of hard for you, and I understand if you don't come, but you're truly the only one I'd want there for me.

I love you always. I always will.

Your brother,
Cal

I sat for a few minutes, staring at the letter, trying to make sense of it. After that, I went back downstairs. My parents were exactly where I left them, but I was not the same girl that just went upstairs. The letter ignited a fire in me, a fire I wasn't sure either of them were ready for.

"What'd he say?" Margaret was the first to speak, as always.

"What the fuck?" were the first words that left my mouth. It seemed to shock all of us. "You fucking drove him out of here!"

"What on earth are you talking about?"

"What do you think I'm talking about, Mother?" the word sounded more like a snarl as it left my mouth. "He told you he was gay, and you fucking drove him away. You drove him out of here! He never would've left if it wasn't for you two! He would've stayed here with me if it wasn't for you! He left me because of you, and you thought you couldn't tell me? You thought I wouldn't find out? Well, fuck both of you. I'm leaving."

"And where do you think you'll go?"

"Anywhere but fucking here!" I yelled, slamming the door shut.  My first breath of fresh air was like a sigh of relief. I started running. I could hear them calling after me, but they weren't going to follow me. I knew them enough to know that. They knew I didn't have a car, and if I left, I'd have to come back. They didn't care enough to follow me.

I ran until I reached the familiar doorstep, and then I knocked. Maude answered the door, a concerned look on her face. It only got worse when she saw the tears streaming down my face. "Oh, sweetheart."

"I'm sorry," spilled out of my mouth. "I didn't know where to go."

"Come in, come in," she told me, wrapping her arms around me. "Don't be sorry for coming here. Never be sorry for coming here."

"My parents..." I whined, unable to finish my sentence. "They... they kept something from me. Something serious. The reason my brother left. And now I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do."

"It's okay, sweetheart. You can figure it out," she told me. "You can go to David's room. I'm sure he'll be better than I can be."

"Okay," I hugged her one last time. "And thank you for having me. Sorry I ate all your raspberries earlier."

"Baby, you and I both know David bought those for you," she smiled. "He'll fix you right up."

I made my way to David's room, and knocked on the bedroom door.

"Hello?"

I opened it and said, "Are you tired of me yet?"

He smiled and replied, "Never. Come in."

Hi sorry its been a while xoxo abby

Ps WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF ALL THIS DAVID DRAMA??? Give me ur opinions