☾ chapter 15

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

»»—— five hundred years ago ——««

"Licht got her pregnant?" A young girl with platinum blonde hair stared at her basket in shock, mouth parted as a blush slowly forming in her cheeks as she realized what that meant.

"Get your mind out the gutter." Charla deadpanned, continuing to pick berries from the planted bushes.

Elisia's already red face flushed into a deeper color, her cowlick perking up from embarrassment. "I can't help it, okay! I didn't know Licht would go through with it—"

"Does the idea of sex really bother you that much?"

"Sh-shut up!"

"Elisia is still a kid at heart, huh?" Lira teased, nudging her elbow.

'You're a kid too!' She looked away, not wanting to face her friends' teasing expressions. "I just think it's..."

"Elisia?"

"Wha—Licht!" She didn't think Licht would pass by, especially since Tetia needed him now more than ever. Facing him, she asked. "Why're you here? And shouldn't you be with sis?"

"I actually have a request for you." Licht smiled, his amber eyes giving off the same warmth from many years ago when he found her in the middle of nowhere. "Can we go somewhere else?"

It didn't take long for them to reach the plains. Most of the elves were either playing or gathering food. There was no one to bother them. It surprised her, considering her brethren loved Licht so much that they always stuck to him. 'Especially Patolli, that little brat.'

"Tetia and I...we talked about marriage." Licht started. For the first time, she saw nervousness in his eyes. Even the most beloved of the elves could be vulnerable, she supposed. "And we thought of having you be the priestess."

The request made her stop in her tracks. She swore her brain malfunctioned. "Wait, why?"

"I thought if you blessed our marriage, the dreams she and I share would come true."

"But..."

"Are you still worried about it?"

There was a superstition in her previous tribe that users of Faith Magic were loved by the goddess. So much so that tragedies naturally fell upon them. "I don't want to fuck up your marriage, brother."

"Elisia..." Licht ruffled her platinum hair with a strained smile. The frustration leaked out in his voice. "I don't know why...but you always doubt yourself."

The world was on her side, as long as she believed it was. Elisia didn't know how to answer. She would love to join their hands in holy matrimony, but the little chance that her previous tribe's superstition had a basis to it—it scared her. They willingly abandoned her because of it, after all.

"It's been two years since you received your grimoire and a decade since you started performing miracles for us. Not once did you ever fail us, Elisia." He continued. "We encouraged you to perform miracles in hopes that you'd be more confident but...it's alright if you decline, it is just my request after all. I don't want to place unnecessary pressure on you."

"I...thank you..." The sudden compliment caught her off-guard.

Licht, the person she cherished most, believed she could help him in his dream. Tetia, the human she felt most comfortable with, also shared the same sentiment as Licht. They were both deserving of happiness. Blessing their marriage was the least she could do for Licht, who found her alone in the forest years ago, and believed in her when she couldn't do it herself. "Licht, I'llI'll bless the marriage."