Chapter 3: Blackmailing Bad Boy

My mom called me at exactly 6:30 the next morning. My eyes felt like they could not and would not open due to the fifty pound weights attached to them. Being the impatient and punctual person that she is, my mother thought it would be a good idea to march up the steps, throw open my door, and start shaking me awake. This did nothing but make me even grumpier. "I'm going, I'm going," I replied, if only to make her stop.

I got up and went into the bathroom, which thankfully I didn't have to share because my brother was away at college. Showering quickly and getting dressed, I made my way downstairs.

I was the type of person you could not talk to in the mornings. It was physically impossible for me to open my mouth and reply in a coherent manner, something that my parents just never seemed to understand. Putting in my headphones never discouraged them from conversing with me either, it was almost as if they never read the How to Teen Manual.

Slipping on my vans, I headed out the door, jumped into my car, and headed to school. Our school was called St. Agatha's Academy and was one of those hoity toity private schools that your parents paid a ton of money for in exchange for a good education. Its front lawn was always freshly mowed, its shrubs trimmed to perfection, and its reputation impeccable.

The only thing I never understood about this school, was why they let delinquents like Ajax enroll.

"Omg, it's Ajax," said some girl next to me.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. You know in those movies where the bad boy rides up in his motorcycle, takes his helmet off, and shakes out his hair, his shirt easing up just enough to glimpse his mouthwatering abs, and then he turns and smirks at the nerd girl and they fall in love and live happily ever after? I hate to burst your bubble, but that would never happen in real life. The minute I heard that girl say his name, I was running for the hills.

I reached my locker in record timing, probably breaking my record for most exercise in one day or maybe one week...

"How are you?" said Shelly, appearing out of thin air.

"I told you last night, I'm fine," I replied. Contrary to popular beliefs, heartbreak does not mend itself in one night and, yes, people do lie about their wellbeing.

This time she raised her eyebrows, Shelly's signature shade throwing look.

"Okay, fine. I'm pretty sure my heart is broken. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"I'm so sorry, T. I know it hurts, but it will get better. There are plenty of fish in the sea!"

Cue awkward comfort pats.

Thankfully, Soren came up to us at that moment. "How are my two favorite ladies?" He asked, wrapping his arms around both of our shoulders.

"Cooties," I yelled in response.

"Homeschool child!" Both Shelly and Soren derided.

"Your mom!" Always the go to comeback, just in case you were wondering.

"Neither of our moms were homeschooled, T," Soren looked at me. "You need to work on your comebacks."

"Your mom needs to work on her comebacks," I replied at which the bell promptly rang and the halls became crowded with laxidazical students multitasking by walking while being preoccupied with their phones.

☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎

After seven classes filled with monotonous lectures and distracted learners, I was left in mostly abandoned hallways. Soren had already started soccer practices, Shelly had practice with her band, Elevator Noise, and Zack was nowhere to be seen, probably off with Cindy.

"You!"

I turned around, halting mid-step, and stared at the person in front of me.

"I didn't do it!" I yelled, putting my hands up in the universal sign of 'I'm innocent'.

"Oh, but you did. Don't you remember our pleasant run-in at Rite-Aid the other day?" He said taking a couple steps forward, his expression like a cat waiting to pounce on its prey.

"I plead the fifth," I replied, taking a couple steps back in order to maintain the distance between us.

Of course he just had to be freakishly fast and have freakishly long legs because before I knew it, he was right in front of me.

"You better watch yourself," he threatened.

"Is that all you can say?" Somebody get some duct tape to control my mouth! Please, I'm begging you!

"I can promise you that by tomorrow morning, the whole school can know your dirtiest secrets. Or..." He trailed off.

"Or what?!" I can die a slow and painful death?

"Or you can tutor me in math," he said, stepping back and rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

Totally not at all what I was expecting. Ajax the chain smoker, vandalizer, and overall horrible person wanted me to tutor him? I wish I had my camera because at that moment, Ajax appeared like one of those innocent little boys who just stole a cookie out of the cookie jar.

"By the way, you don't really have a choice."

Just kidding. He was in no way, shape, or form like a cute small child.

"Why me?" I wailed to anyone who would listen.

"Because you're smart and easy to blackmail," said Ajax, rolling his eyes as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"That was a rhetorical question, you dunce!"

Suffice to say, if looks could kill, I would be six feet under.

"Fine, just don't kill me! And how do you know any of my secrets anyway?"

"Wouldn't you like to know," he smiled evilly before walking off.

"How will I get in touch with you?" I yelled at his retreating figure.

Ding

I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone. 1 new message from an unknown number.

"You won't, I'll get in touch with you," I read.

Oh crap, what did I get myself into?