Chapter 1

Ellie ran to the front of Jackson. Her trusty switchblade in her back pocket and the pistol she always carried in her hands. There was no time to go to the armory. The hunters were already inside and she needed to get them out. It had been so long since the town was directly attacked everyone had grown soft. Including her. Believing this to be an impenetrable safe haven. It was not.

Others were running to the fight like her, the only difference was she was coming to the fight from the side so she had the angle on them. Ellie took aim and shot 3 hunters. She fired at a fourth but the remaining turned their guns to her and she was forced to take cover behind a log.

She peeked out from behind and fired three shots. One shot grazed a man's face and the other two flew by. She saw a hunter going for some of the citizens of Jackson and shot him in the back.

Ellie released the empty magazine from her pistol and grabbed another from her bag but a punch to the side of the head knocked her to the side, sending the empty gun tumbling across the battlefield. It was the same man she'd previously grazed.

The man grabbed her throat and squeezed. Ellie grabbed his hands and worked a leg in between her and the attacker but a shot to the head sent brains and blood to her face. She kicked the body off and looked to see Dina off to the side with a gun.

Dina. They'd been friends for some years and known each other for more. Now they were a thing. But Ellie was just biding her time until she went back to Jesse. She wouldn't get mad at him. She wasn't going to be like one of those assholes that got possessive and called women theirs.

Ellie by now had a full magazine in the pistol and went to fight off the rest but the others must have gotten them. Smoke could be seen wafting through the air off in the distance.

It was near where their medical center was. Joel was going over there when the attack happened. Ellie's jog to the smoke became an outright sprint to the next fight.

Picking up a pipe she bashed it against the skull of one of them. She turned and dodged an arrow by a hair. She threw a rock at her head and charged the woman. Hitting her with an upward stroke with the pipe and then bright it down on her head after she fell. The pipe broke but she didn't care.

Ellie saw where the fire was coming from. It wasn't the medical center directly but a place for storage. She scanned the area looking for Joel but was forced back into the fighting when she dodged a machete to the face.

She ran far enough away to pull her gun out and fire three shots to his chest. The man fell over and she ripped the weapon from his dead but still warm hands.

Ellie made a Molotov from the stuff she'd grabbed and threw it at 2 people charging her. She did a 180 and shot 2 women that shot at her. One of them managed to graze her shoulder but she'd be fine with a good night of sleep.

Three men came crashing through a window. One of them being Joel! Ellie rushed to the other man and stabbed him in the throat and shot the other guy before Joel got the chance to bash his head against the ground. She approached Joel. "I'm fine." He was already waving her off and brushing himself off.

"Oh shit!" Ellie and Joel jumped apart just as an explosive was thrown at them. Part of the building fell, pinning Joel. Ellie managed to dodge the falling parts and grab the machete. She charged the man and slit his throat.

A woman came up from behind Ellie and tried to strangle her but Joel used his revolver and put a hole right in between her eyes and she dropped Ellie. "Thanks."

Joel, with the help of Ellie got the debris off of him. "Oh shit Joel, your leg."

He looked down and saw his shin bent. "Fuck!" He gripped his knee. If he grabbed any lower than it would cause more pain.