4:00 am

joshua bassett was your best friend

joshua bassett was your best friend. you've been best friends since middle school. the two of you were inseparable and attached at the hip. you always swore to each other that if neither of you were married by 30, you'd marry each other and that's always been your little inside joke.

currently, the two of you were living in salt lake city, utah, while joshua was filming season 2 of high school musical, the musical: the series. you had grown quite close with the cast so you didn't mind coming to live with him when he was filming.

it was a cold friday night in utah and you and joshua had been up playing board games and card games all night. he'd occasionally strum his guitar but you'd quickly ruin it with your singing.

"uno!" you called out, throwing your arms in the air.

josh gasped and furrowed his eyebrows, "what? no way! we just started!" he complains.

"sucks to suck!" you say before he throws a card down that just so happened to be the color of yours.

you confidently threw your blue card down. you jump up from your seat on the rug, doing a victory dance.

josh throws his cards in the air but laughs at your terrible dance moves.

just as you were about to take your seat back on the floor, you see josh pull out his phone, turning some music on at full volume.

he joins you in the middle of the living room, grabbing your hands and flailing your arms around playfully.

"spin me!" you laughed and he goes to spin you. he pulls you back in, only for you to trip over the rug, causing you to fall into his chest. the two of you burst into laughter as you buried your face in his chest.

soon enough, a slow song comes on shuffle. you both calm down and he pulls you into his chest, resting a hand on your waist, the other holding your hand.

you two swayed around the living room, wishing that this moment would last forever. you promised yourself you'd never fall in love with him but it was 4:00am and you two were dancing carelessly around your shared apartment and in that moment you felt happy. the happiest you've felt in a long time.

you pulled your head away from the crook of his neck and looked him in the eyes, smiling softly. his eyes travel down to your lips and back up to your eyes with a smirk.

soon enough, you both were leaning in. you finally closed the gap between your lips as your hands travelled up around his neck, lightly gripping his soft curls between your fingers. his hands roamed your back.

you pulled away and looked into his eyes. the two of  you smile at each other and you peck his lips again.

"not to sound cliche, but i've been wanting to do that since forever." he admits.

you throw your head back in laughter, "i guess i could say the same." i respond, blushing.

you danced around a little bit longer after that until you both started to feel tired. you cleaned up the games and put them back up in the closet and then headed towards your room to get ready for bed.

you see josh leaning against his doorframe waiting for you, "you alright?" you question, sending him a comforting smile.

"can i ask you something?" he asks.

"you just did." you respond sarcastically, earning a chuckle from him.

he grabs your hands in his, "i'm serious." he steps closer to you. you nod and squeeze his hands reassuringly.

"can i take you out tomorrow night?" he says quickly, scrunching his nose.

you laugh at his facial expression, "i thought you'd never ask." you say, leaning in for a kiss.

you went to bed that night with joshua by your side. he kissed your forehead before you drifted off into a deep sleep.

you both were so happy and you wanted this feeling to keep going. you guys were happily together and in that moment, that's all that really mattered.