Part Sixteen

Adrien walked to the roof of the hospital to see Marinette sitting on a bench.

"Hey." She said looking at him. "Hey." He replied standing in front of her. "I saw you being Chat Noir last night. How cruel to be so close to the hospital that I can see you... How cruel knowing I can't be Ladybug with you..." "I can't commit double suicide with you." "You're so heartless." She said with a smile.

"Well, look, when we went shopping, I was the one who carried the bags. You always take the initiative. You only tell me things after the fact. You walk in front of me, and I'm always behind you. At this rate, it wouldn't be double suicide, it would be me following you. So, please give me one more chance. Please give me another chance to stand by your side. Please be Ladybug with me one more time."

"But... I..." She looked for the words and couldn't find any. "You're not a princess, you're the daughter of two bakers and you're not the heroine of a novel. So let's be partners together, one last time. You're the one who said it, 'Do you think you'll be able to forget?'" He smiled at her as she closed her eyes that were filled with tears, "You really are cruel." "I thought you knew that."

The air is chilly, and as dry as can be. Such a cruel boy. Telling me to dream one more time. I thought I was satisfied because my dream came true and I'd told myself it was enough. Yet here you are, watering this withered heart again. I'm greedy, so... I'm going to dream again, of waltzing with you one day... I just might.

**

"As I just explained, it would be extremely dangerous. Not only that, but even if it all went well..." The doctor said to Marinette who had her parents standing behind her. "Yes, I understand. At least, I think I do. I've talked about it with both my mother and father. My mind is set. I want to have the surgery."

**

Adrien walked into Marinette's hospital room, only to find an empty bed and not a person in sight. He crossed his arms as he left the hospital... What's up with that? She's the one who told me to check in regularly. Don't tell me... She took a turn for the worse. What should I do...

He paced around a bit until he felt an arm around him, "Hey, it's you, Adrien." He looked up to see both of Marinette's parents. "It's been awhile." He said. "Are you here to visit Marinette?" "How nice!" "Well, yes. But I can't find her anywhere." Her parents look at each other, "I think I know where she might be." Marinette's mom says as they walk back into the building with the boy.

They go to the window, watching her trying to learn to walk again. "She says she doesn't want to lose her stamina or muscle strength. She says she wants to be who she was again. This is all thanks to you, Adrien. Marinette had given up, thrown in the towel. And here she is, starting to walk again. One sure step at a time."

Adrien looked down, "I haven't done anything." "No, I guess not. All you did was try very hard. And it struck a chord in Marinette's heart." Her father said.

**

"I want the surgery. Even if it give me only a little more time, even if there's only the slightest hope. I'm willing to cling to anything. There was this boy I met in April. He cried and vomited, and struggled so hard it was unseemly... But he shined like a star and his life seemed like a gorgeous rendition of a melody. I made a promise to that boy. So that's why... I want to struggle as hard as I can. No matter how unseemly... no matter how futile... I'm going to struggle, struggle and struggle, struggle like there's no tomorrow. Because I'm just like him. If I just give up in despair. I can never face my parents, who gave birth to me and raised me. Because it's my life. If I give up now, I'll just feel sorry for myself." Marinette's mother now weeping behind her.

**

"You made Marinette's graying heart see color again, so thank you. Adrien Agreste." Her dad placed a hand on his shoulder.