t w o

◇     𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

◇     𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 : 𝟐𝟗𝟒𝟗

· · ─────── · ♛ · ─────── · ·

The Prince tried to describe some details about his castle and English politics as he led me through what felt like a myriad of hallways, which all looked the same until we finally reached the doorway of what I assumed was my temporary bedroom. It was much more plain and simple compared to what I had expected of a bedroom in a castle, but I wasn't one to complain. Still, I did miss the cosiness of my small cottage I'd acquired on the outskirts of town. I glanced around the room, first noticing the large window on the far left wall.

"You know, I could run if I wanted to," I said, motioning toward the window before turning back to the prince. I continued studying what I could see of the room from my stance near the doorway.

"If you truly wanted to, would you have told me that?" the prince said in response alongside a cheeky smirk. I chuckle lightly.

"I suppose not," I answer honestly. "I am curious as to what you'll have me do here."

"Well," he starts, "you seem like a woman of many skills, but that's not entirely what I'm focused on."

He gestures for me to walk further into the generously sized room. I plant myself on the twin-sized bed in the far right corner while he pulls a chair from where it was pushed underneath a desk beside the entryway.

"What is it you are focused on? What makes you think I know anything about my father's plans in your war?"

"I'm not asking about this particular war," said the prince. "You strike me as a person of great intelligence — "

"Flattery will get you nowhere," I interrupt with a quirked eyebrow. He purses his lips, but I can see the faint glint of amusement that never seems to leave his eyes.

" — meaning, you pay attention to detail, yes? You know what your father would and would not do. Where he takes risks, and where his weaknesses might be," the prince explains, sounding slightly more serious than before. I merely nodded, taking in his words and even thinking over what I know that might be of use.

"And why do you think I will help you? I have no part in this war. I no longer belong to either country," I counter only half-heartedly. I was more testing the waters and attempting to figure out how much he had learned about myself surrounding the topic of war. He leans forward in his seat with a vacant smirk making me lift an eyebrow.

"I know you want nothing more than to see your father topple from his high horse," he explains plainly. "Therefore, we have something in common. He's taunted my father for as long as I can remember, and he hurt you in ways I can only begin to understand."

Despite how proud he seems of his knowledge, I've only just started to point out the flaws I can see in his motive for fighting, as well as his seemingly too trustworthy personality. If they so desired my help, I plan to give it my all... even if it is vaguely against my will.

"He has poked fun at your father, yes. And you are correct in saying I wish for that man to fall on his sword. But you've failed to show me what you gain from this war. Why fight your father's battles?" I ask, picking at the hem of my black long-sleeved shirt after removing my jacket and placing it on the end of the bed. The prince stared out the window, hopefully contemplating my question rather than zoning out and ignoring my existence.

"I cannot deny that I fight in this war because my father sought it out," he says after taking a deep breath, "but that is not the only reason I am so willing to help. On the other side of this bloodshed is peace, one way or another. It is the least I can do for my people."