The Prank

A week has passed and Rodrick and I have actually become pretty good friends. It's nice to have someone to talk to about bands and who wishes as much as I do that Warped Tour was still around. 

Honestly, I'm starting to develop a little bit of a crush on him. But can you blame me? He's gorgeous, tall, and actually really sweet on the inside. 

"Kaylee."

I turn over, yawning. 

"Kaylee," I hear again. It's Rodrick, shaking me awake at this ungodly hour.

"Rodrick, it's four in the morning," I mumble, checking the time on my phone and pulling my sleeping bag over my head. 

"Kaylee, come on, wake up," Rodrick shakes my arm, then gets up and turns the lights on. I sit up, leaning my weight on my elbows. He's already dressed and I wonder where the normally late riser could be going at 4 AM.

"This better be important, Rodrick, this really better be important." If the house isn't on fire, I'll be pissed.

"I wanted to let you know about my greatest prank yet," he brags. "I'm gonna wake Greg up, and make him think it's the first day of school."

"And?"

"And... it's not... the first day of school?" He pauses. "But listen, he'll freak out like a dork and start making noise, he'll wake up my parents--"

"So it's a mind-fuck-slash-get-him-in-trouble type thing."

"Kinda."

"Okay, I'm in, I guess."

"Great," he grins, sliding on a hoodie and grabbing his backpack. "All you have to do is pretend to be asleep, and cover for me if anyone asks whether I was really asleep."

"Got it."

He leaves and dashes back a minute later, snickering. He shuts off the lights, closes his door, and slides off his hoodie, backpack, and jeans. He slides it all under his bed and jumps on top of it, pretending to be asleep. I follow suit, and we stifle laughs, hearing Greg make a huge racket downstairs. His dad starts yelling at him, and soon everyone else in the house is up in our room, investigating. 

"It was Rodrick!" Greg insists. "He changed my clock!"

"Go to bed," Mrs. Heffley orders flatly, going downstairs.

"What is that smell?" muses Mr. Heffley. "I can't even identify it."

A smile creeps onto Rodrick's face as everyone leaves, and we high five before immediately going to sleep. Waking up early for the prank has taken its toll on us late risers, especially Rodrick. 

After a few more precious hours of sleep, I wake up a bit before him and take a second to just look at him. He's clever in his own way, sweet, funny, and mischievous. His hair is shaggy and adorable, and his lips are plump. And don't even get me started on when he wears eyeliner. And then it hits me that he's only in a t-shirt and boxers. 

I see his eyes start to open, so I shut mine quickly and roll over. I hear the floorboards creak as he gets up and goes downstairs, and that's when I realize that I definitely have a major crush on Rodrick Heffley.

------------

Thoughts so far?

Vote and comment for more of the emo boy that will occupy my dreams for the rest of my life.