Chapter 1: Old Goodbyes, New Hellos

Josephine 

"That's the last one, baby." My mom says, looking at me with watery eyes.

"Oh mom don't cry, I'll be back before you know it." 

"We're just going to miss you so much." My dad says, walking up to my car with my brother. I go in to hug them one last time. 

"Guys, this is my third year of this. You would think you guys would be a little more used to it by now." I tell them while trying to lighten the mood with an obviously humorless chuckle. I have never been comfortable in big emotional moments where I was the center of attention. 

"Bye guys. I love you all!" and with that I hop in my car, eager to get to my new apartment.

The drive is pretty long, around 8 hours, but I never really minded. I enjoy listening to music and the alone-time. Plus, I'm pretty familiar with the drive since I've done it many times in my past two years. 

...

Finally arriving at my new apartment building, I hop out of my black Toyota RAV4 and make my way inside. My apartment is number 524. I wonder around until I spot it. Jackpot, I tell myself mentally. 

Unlocking the door was like the sensation of taking a drag of a cigarette for the first time, absolute happiness and freedom. The apartment is completely empty because Jamie wouldn't be moving in for another week. 

The apartment is really nice, I was surprised it was within my budget. It was a modern two bedroom, one full bathroom, one 3/4 bath, living room, and kitchen. 

Walking in, it looks just like the pictures. The kitchen in the first thing you see, then an open living room area. I go to claim my room, obviously taking the one with the bathtub. The room is spacious with hardwood floors and white walls. This will be very fun to decorate. I can't help but beam at the beauty of this apartment. No judging, ok?-getting your first apartment is cool. 

...

Once I've successfully unloaded the trailer that's attached to my car and brought all my stuff upstairs, I decide it is time to start putting my stuff away. 

My room has a color scheme of black and dark green. I like the dark colors sorry, not sorry. The bed was a little difficult to get up here, but women power right? The queen sized bed was worth the struggle. I hung up my posters of The Neighbourhood and Chase Atlantic. After finishing up my room I head to the kitchen and living room. The couch and TV were two other essentials that were difficult to get up to the 5th floor. I decide to watch some TV before going to bed.

...

A week later 

Jamie is moving in today! I'm pretty nervous, it's a little weird living with someone you've never met. But we texted a little when we were making arrangements for the apartment, so hopefully it will go well. I mostly just hope we don't hate each other, then I feel like it will be fine. I mean we don't need to love each other, just need to coexist. 

It has not been a busy morning so far, seeing as I just woke up an hour ago and that was already noon. So there was pretty much no morning. But I am trying to soak up as much sleep as I can before swim season starts. Early morning practices will be the death of me. 

I am snapped out of my thoughts by a knock at the door. Answering the door a man is standing there and he clears his throat as I realize I was blankly staring at him. Whoops. 

"You ordered the acai bowl?" Ah yes, my lovely brunch. 

"indeed sir, thank you, kindly." I say with a goofy grin on my face and take the food to my counter to start grubbing. I realize some would say acai bowls are "basic" but whatever I don't give a shit and plus the term "basic" is stupid. Things become popular for a reason and this shit is good as hell. 

I am just finishing up eating when another person knocks at the door. Ugh how many people are gonna show up here. I walk to the door and throw it open a little aggressively, my bad. There is a dude standing there holding a duffle bag. Weird, but he is quite attractive if I do say so myself. But obviously I would never let him know that. 

"Can I help you?" I ask in a monotone voice. 

"Yes you sure can gorgeous, I am moving in today. Joey is supposed to be here." I freeze when he says my nickname. Oh shit. I fucked this up. 

"You can't be Jamie" "Jamie is supposed to be a girl" I say more to myself starting to pace around in the apartment. To my displeasure he follows me in. 

"Nope, I'm Jamie." He says before he freezes and a deep grin spreads across his face "Wait, are you Joey?" 

"Yes, I am and this can't work." 

"Why not? We have separate rooms and I will be busy with football practice. Plus, my friends live in the building so i'll be over there most of the time." He tells me but I'm only half listening and half panicking. 

"And if it helps my case, I already paid the first months rent so you can't really get rid of me now." He continues telling me why I should let him stay, that big grin still on his face. Ugh this guy is annoying as hell and he has to be such an ass if he's on the football team, but I definitely need help with rent. Plus he's already paid. 

"Ugh, fine, I guess you can stay." I say with annoyance clear in my voice. 

"Yes! You won't regret it!" 

"Mhm, whatever." I wave him off and go back to my room while he starts unpacking. I need to stick to the coexisting strategy. It will all be fine it's not like we need to see each other all the time. Plus, when school starts tomorrow and swim start I won't be around much. 

...

I decide to go out and see if he's finished unpacking. It's been a few hours so it's unlikely he's not done. 

Exiting my room I see him rummaging through the fridge. He was really a sight to behold. He was to be at least 6'4", which is pretty tall compared to my 5'8" frame. He is basically made of muscle. The couple of tattoos he has go very well with the muscles, might I add. His eyes are what really draw me in, one is blue while the other is green. They are so striking I find myself getting lost in them. Wait, I couldn't see his eyes a minute ago. 

"Are you done checking me out?" He drawls with a smirk on his lips. Well, shit. That will be the last time I let that happen. I don't need to inflate his ego more than it already is. 

"More like watching a car crash, too hard to look away as you destroy the organized fridge." I reply with a smirk of my own. Two can play this game Jamie. 

His smirk falls as he begins to chuckle as he turns around to the fridge again. 

"There's no way I can destroy the fridge, as you say, because there is nothing in the fridge." he turns back to me and I just shrug as I take a seat at the bar. "Come on we're going to get something to eat." He tells me as he grabs his keys. I guess I am a little hungry.

"Only if you're buying." I say with a smirk. 

He begins to laugh loudly. "You definitely know how to play the game, Joey." I go grab my white high top converse and throw them on over the socks I was already wearing. I glance in the mirror, I don't look great but eh who cares this is college everyone wears sweat pants and sweatshirts. I walk back out to see Jamie waiting for me at the door. 

"Ready?" He asks and I nod in reply and we head out the door.