Chapter 3: Dripping

Jamie 

When I get back from practice Joey is still not here. What the fuck is all I can think she's been gone for so long. I am losing my mind, I hope she's okay. How do I like this girl so much I don't even know her. I decide to go grocery shopping because the guys are coming over tonight to watch a football game. My apartment has the biggest TV, thanks to Joey, so I said we could watch it here. At this rate Joey probably won't even be home when they're here. 

... 

I just finished putting away the groceries and the guys should arrive any minute. And right on queue I hear the knock at the door, then in coming my three best friends Nick, Turner, and Mark. 

"Ayy, who's ready to watch a smack down!" Turner yells as he enters the room holding a pack of beers. 

"You don't have to scream Turner." I say and everyone laughs and we go to sit on the couch. 

About halfway through the game, we hear the door open and someone walk in. We all turn to look at Joey.

"who the hell are you?" Mark asks as him and the rest of the guys stare at Joey quizzically. Ignore their questions because I am too distracted by her soaking wet clothes and hair. I am instantly filled with worry as I take in her appearance.

"What happened? Why are you soaking wet??" I ask concern clear in my voice. She just stares at me with a blank expression before answering. 

"What do you mean?" She asks blankly

"Uhm hello? Who is this?" Turner asks me trying to understand why there is a soaking wet girl standing in my apartment. 

"Guys this is my roommate, Joey." I say and wait for their reaction.

"This is Joey?!" They all shout and I just nod and ask my question again.

"Why are you soaking wet?" But before she could answer the guys started introducing themselves and asking questions, which annoyed me immensely. It is so obvious they thought she was attractive and were going to try hitting on her. I needed to make it clear she is mine.  

"Hi Joey! I'm Turner." 

"And I'm Mark."

"I'm Nick." They all smiled at her and she just waved and stood there before starting to walk to her room. 

"Joey. Why are you soaking wet. What happened?" I asked again and the guys seemed to finally realize what I was talking about and we all looked at her concerned. 

"Uh, I'm not?" She said. Does she not know she's literally dripping.

Turner spoke up this time. "Joey, you're literally leaving a trail of water behind you." His words finally seemed to sink into her and she looked at herself and then it seemed to hit her. 

"Oh, right sorry, I got thrown in the pool as initiation for captain and I didn't have other clothes." 

We all just stared at her as if she was crazy, before she just walked into her room and shut the door. 

"What the hell was she talking about, man?" Nick asked me after we heard the shower turn on from her room. 

"I have no idea" I answered

"How the hell did you end up with such a hot roommate?!" Mark asked and looked at me with prying eyes. 

"I thought she was a guy and she thought I was a girl. Joey is a nickname of hers." I said as I laughed at the memory of seeing her flustered realizing I was a guy. 

"And you don't know why she just came in soaking wet?" Turner asked

"No idea. I know like nothing about her." I said a little sad. "She doesn't open up at all. No emotion and no background." 

"Well lets look her up!" Mark says enthusiastically. I look at him unsure if that's an invasion of privacy or not but the guys finally convince me that it's public knowledge and she's probably done it to me. 

"I can't find a Joey Knight on instagram anywhere." 

"Try Josephine or Josie." I tell him 

"I got it Josie Knight." 

"She has a lot of followers, but she hasn't posted in so long." 

"Woah." Nick says under his breath and I instantly snap my head to look at him.

"What, what is it?" I ask very nervous and excited to hear what he found out. 

"She's the captain of our schools swim team." Oh so that's what she meant by initiation for captain. Wow, she must be good then. Juniors as captains is almost unheard of, besides me being the captain of the football team, there are no other junior captains at our school.  I smile to myself as I take in the new information I learned about her. She is incredible. This only made me more determined to learn more about her.