Chapter 14

Autumn showed me around the small infirmary. She was extremely talkative and as much as I wanted to hear everything she wanted to say, I was exhausted and extremely sore.

She could tell too, because she told me I should sleep so I could help with her later tonight after another dog fight.

The guards led me through the tiny halls and up a few stairs. They were a challenge with just one good foot and sore arms. I could tell they were getting annoyed and I just hoped they didn't try to hit me. I wouldn't be able to hold off either of them.

I noticed that everyone, including those back at Dream's city, all had short hair. Even the women had their hair cut short and tied back. Techno and I were the only ones with long hair. Well, now only Techno.

I reached up to feel my short hair. It made my heart sink.

I was led to a long, low ceiling room. There were two guards stationed both inside and outside the door. I had also noticed there were a lot of people roaming the halls. Were they patrols? They had guns over their shoulders which seemed to be the trademark of a guard.

The room was a cabin of sorts. There were hammocks all along the walls and in the center. There was only enough room for one hammock on top of another.

They were all men.

I was pushed forward a little before the guards left the room. I watched them leave then turned back to the room, finding a couple pairs of eyes on me. I had never wanted to disappear more than at that moment.

I looked around for the spot with less men and found Dream. He was in perfect sight of the door where the inside guards could watch him closely. His eyes were closed and his arms crossed over his stomach.

I limped over to where he was laying. A few steps away he opened his eyes. He quietly groaned, stood up, and hopped up on the top hammock. He didn't bother to look at me, sparing himself another one of my glares.

Careful with my hurt foot, I laid down on the dirty cloth. I itched behind my head and felt my short hair, swallowing the urge to cry at the loss. Fortunately, I was tired enough that I fell asleep within seconds.

****

My life had reverted back to the way it was when I arrived at Dream's city. I had two guards following me everywhere I went and I always stayed with the healer, Autumn.

Not speaking was incredibly challenging. It was even more frustrating when I couldn't motion what it was I wanted to say.

While I absolutely loved Autumn, it bothered me that she was so passive. I noticed some of the guards feeling her when she needed them to get something for her and one of her patients. She never said or did anything.

She was also jumpy, like even the slightest movement could kill her. Whether that was just who she was or for other personal, darker reasons I didn't know. I tried to smile at her a lot which was something I never did very often. She just seemed kinda sad all the time.

One night, while asleep in the hammock beneath Dream, I heard screaming. I bolted up and hit my head on his back. He leaned over and clubbed my ear with a curse. When he heard the second scream he froze.

He then let out a heavy sigh and disappeared back over the edge of the hammock. I curled up in my own hammock, staring widely at the dark wall. I wanted to throw up and my body itched to do something, anything to help.

I felt useless and horribly guilty that I didn't get up to help the screaming woman. There wasn't anything I could do, though. Not with four guards at every door and a few patrolling the hallways.