Prologue

Prologue

Beacon Hills, California is a long way from home for the Salvatores, and that's exactly how Damon and Elena want it for their daughter Oakley

Oakley doesn't want to leave. She never has. Her whole life is in Mystic Falls, Virginia. She was born and raised here.

Well that was until her sixteenth birthday, when her parents decided the best birthday present ever was to move all the way across the country.

Now it all makes sense. The way everyone was buttering her up the days before she had to leave.

The last few days before her birthday...

Oakley was sat on her bed, like every morning, looking at her social media when her mom all of a sudden barged into her room.

"Wakey, wakey! Eggs and ba—" Her mother sang cutting herself off, "oh. You're already awake! Good." She placed the foldable table down on her daughter's bed.

"Mom, what is this? My birthdays in three days. Did you forget?" Oakley asked messing with her moms hair.

Mr. and Mrs. Salvatore try to be very open with their daughter, so she knows about how they both used to be vampires. Because vampires are commonly known to be over one hundred years old, Oakley thinks it's funny to poke fun of her moms age, hence the forgetfulness joke.

"No. I did not forget," Elena huffed and lightly smacked her daughters hand away from her hair. "I just wanted to bring my daughter, only one I might add, breakfast in bed."

"Well I'm not going to say 'no' to food, but are you up to something?" Oakley wiggled her eyebrows suspiciously at her mother and picked up some bacon.

"What? Me? Pfft. No," Elena responds hastily. "But I have to head to work right now, so I'll see you later." She began to walk out the door.

"Okay. Love you. Bye." Oakley waves to her mom.

"Love you too. Bye-bye, sweetie," And with that Elena was off to work.

—————

The next day was strange too with a knock on the front door. Oakley got up from the couch and opened the door to her moms two best friends, Caroline Salvatore and Bonnie Saint John.

Caroline got Married to Oakleys late uncle, Stefan, before he passed. They were very much in love, anyone could see that. Her and Elena have been friends for the longest time.