chapter 18

The Council throws a fit

The Council throws a fit. Suspicion of deceit and trickery whiz across the room like paper planes, accusations cutting through the air and clouding the group with anxiety. Mace Windu has maintained a sturdy composure, waiting for the others to quiet their fears and begin conversation about their next steps. Obi-Wan sits quietly in the corner, watching the others as they struggle to find order.

"Master Yoda," Windu begins, "We must take Skywalker in for questioning and then determine the consequences from there."

"Please," Obi-Wan chuckles dryly, "A prisoner was moved to another prison, Master Windu. It's not as though Anakin has sold us out to the Separatists."

"We can't ignore this, Obi-Wan. You are his former Master, and you undoubtedly know him better than any of us, but Skywalker can't go about taking whoever he wants from our custody," Plo Koon replies.

"I understand. And I agree that Anakin needs to be spoken to. But before we condemn him as a criminal, let me speak with him. I'm sure he'll tell me what happened."

Plo Koon nods, and the others offer no objection. No one would dare to get between a Master and his Padawan—their bond is too great to question. Windu watches skeptically as they adjourn.

"Speak to Skywalker, you should, Master Kenobi." Yoda nods. "And report back with what information you gain. Go, now. I sense his presence has returned to the Temple."

Obi-Wan stands, leaving the others behind to find his old apprentice, who he, too, senses the return of.

Down the hall, Circe stands watch at the far corner, waiting for the Council members to end their meeting. At the sight of Obi-Wan coming through the double doors, she falls into step slightly behind him. She knows she should have listened to his order, but he doesn't say anything about her presence as they walk.

As they arrive at the entrance to the Temple, they spot Anakin coming up the stairs towards the main hallway. Obi-Wan makes to call out but Circe pushes past him, her hair lighting up as she steps out into the sun.

"Anakin?" She says quietly.

"Circe," He answers, looking up at her, and then at Obi-Wan.

The look on their faces makes his stomach drop into an uncomfortable pit, and his dream flashes in his mind. What has he done wrong?

"You moved the bounty hunter?"

"Of course. I couldn't wait," He answers.

The Council is going crazy, you have to tell them you had a good reason," She says.

"What are you talking about?"

"They think you moved her to follow your own agenda. They want to speak with you."

He stares at her. "How can that be possible? The Chancellor got the Council's permission to bring her to the city's prison. I only went because he asked me to."

Obi-Wan furrows his brows. "The Council's permission?"

"He asked me to move her to the city's detention center to speed up her trial process. I was waiting for him to confirm with the Council." He explains.

"You moved her under the Chancellor's request? And he told you we approved this?"

"Yes! I didn't— you don't think that I just... that I just took her? Do you?" He says, looking between them.

"No, of course not," Circe says firmly, "There was a miscommunication. They'll understand."

"I'm not sure they will, Circe," Obi-Wan warns.

From down the hall, a deep voice calls out.

"Skywalker!" Windu says from behind them, leading a few Council members towards them. "We have some questions for you."

"Master Windu," He replies, holding his hands up defensively, "I didn't take the bounty hunter without authorization. The Chancellor gave me permission."

"The Chancellor doesn't have jurisdiction over our prison without consulting us first."

"But he did! He told me you'd given the green light to move her so that she could be put to trial by the city."

Windu shakes his head. "We did no such thing. Until we speak to the Chancellor you'll have to be detained. This is a felony, Skywalker. You broke a prisoner out of her cell."

He gapes at them. "Broke— what!? I walked out of the prison with her and another guard! I didn't break anyone out of prison!"

Behind him, a group of troopers approach them. Circe eyes them closely, a shadow falling over her face. Obi-Wan watches her from behind the others, and urges her not to act brashly.

"It doesn't matter how you got her out. You had no authority, and the Council was unaware that any plans were being made to move her," Windu says. "You'll be detained until we hear from the Chancellor."

"That's unnecessary," Circe objects.

"If he doesn't confirm your story, you'll be facing serious jail time," Plo Koon says.

She takes a step towards him, her eyes sweeping across the group. "What reason could he have to lie? You must know that he's telling the truth!?"

"Circe, move out of the way. Troopers, please escort Skywalker to an in-Temple cell."

"Don't touch him," She warns, coming between the Clones and Anakin.

"Out of the way. Now," Windu says.

"Circe," Anakin says, grabbing her arm.

She tears it out of his grasp, staring furiously at the Council members before her. "Comm the Chancellor right now! You can't take him."

The Troopers push her to the side, grabbing Anakin's wrists and pulling them behind his back.

"Stop!" She argues, "You can't really believe that he did this on his own!"

They push Anakin forward. He looks frightened, his youth showing brightly in his eyes. Circe tries to fight, tries to push forward but they keep her back.

"Master Obi-Wan!" She pleads, looking at him for help. He gives her a gentle shake of his head and she glares back, watching as her friend is pulled down the hall. "Anakin! Anakin, I'll come get you, okay? Just wait for me!"

He disappears around the corner and Circe spins around to face Windu, the look on her face cut like stone..

"When you find out that he's innocent, and this is a thing of the past to you, I will continue to remember this. I will never forget," She says angrily, turning and storming off.

Windu sighs, shaking his head at her stubbornness. She'll be hindered by her blind loyalty to Anakin one day, he knows it. Like the others, he has watched the two grow from children into the strengthened soldiers they are now. He has never been so caring as Obi-Wan, or lenient as Master Yoda. He tsks at their affection, hardens to their naivety and youth, and will tolerate none of Circe's softness for Anakin.

But he knows that she will resent him for it. She has always stood as an opponent to his plans for simple, strategic work, like a strip of jagged rock that looms between a ship and its shore. He cannot deny her importance to the Order, or the skill she brings to their ranks, but her devotion to her teammate—her loss of judgement when it comes to him—is a quality he quite dislikes.

He needs to hear back from the Chancellor as soon as possible and get Anakin back on missions. He needs to keep the two of them focused and moving towards the Order's goal: fighting the Separatists until Anakin is ready to fulfill his prophecy.

He and the rest of the Council retreat to their duties for the rest of the day, as whispers of the Chosen One in a cell spread through the rest of the Temple.