Prologue

It was your first day of school. You had just moved to Japan, one of your favorite countries. Years of an anime obsession had led you to dream about living there. Eventually, thanks to your father's job, chairman of the International Criminal Police Organization, your dream was realized.

"Hello everyone, my name is (F/N) (L/N). I've just moved here from (Y/C). It's nice to meet everyone," you introduced yourself to the class with a radiant smile and a curtsy.

The class was instantly captivated by you. You were an exceptional beauty, and you always had good manners.

The teacher directed you to your seat. It was at the very back row, next to the window, behind a dashing brown-haired boy.

As you took a seat, the boy in front of you turned around to face you.

"Hello, Miss (L/N). I'm Light Yagami. It's nice to meet you."

'Light. Yagami...Light Yagami?!' you thought to yourself upon hearing his name.

Keeping your jaw from dropping open to avoid appearing unseemingly and making a foul first impression, you curtly replied with a smile.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Yagami!"

As the boy turned back to face the blackboard, you tried to make sense of what happened.

'Okay so I have a classmate named Light Yagami. It's impossible for him to be named after the Death Note character since the manga was written after I was born. What's more, he even looks just like Light. Like the perfect Light for a Death Note live action,' you thought, chuckling to yourself.

You didn't think much of it after that until you returned home after school.

"Death Note..." you mumble to yourself as you type the words into Google.

You were reminded of one of your old favorite animes by your classmate with a strange name, so you suddenly felt like rewatching it.

When you pressed the enter button, you were unable to find anything pertaining to Death Note the anime or the manga.

Confused, you tried changing your VPN's location and switching to different search engines, but you were met with no luck. Somehow, it seemed as though the Death Note franchise was completely deleted off of the internet...or it never existed at all.

'It can't be. There's no way. I know that I watched Death Note. There is no way I just dreamt about it. It's one of the most popular anime of all time! The internet is supposed to be crawling with stuff about it.' you thought.

You concluded that the only plausible explanations for this were either one: that Death Note was involved in some sort of government conspiracy and so they erased everything about it from the internet, two: you had dreamt up everything about it, or three: Death Note could be real just like how the stories of isekai and reincarnation mangas go.

You thought that all of these ideas were quite absurd as well as very unlikely. Seeing that just thinking would get you nowhere, you decided to investigate your mysterious classmate.

The next day, you decided to try to get close to Light and investigate whether he just had a peculiar name, or if he was really the Light Yagami

"Alright class, this presentation will be worth thirty-percent of your final grade, so I expect everyone to exert adequate effort," your History teacher said to the class.

"It will be accomplished in pairs, which I will now assign."

"So for the first pair, I'll have Miss (L/N) be with Mr. Yagami since she's new here. Mr. Yagami, I trust that you will help Miss (L/N) with anything she is unfamiliar with," said the teacher.