Chapter 8

It was the seventeenth of January, the first day of the standard university entrance exams. You and Light had promised to go to the venue together.

You sat at the dining table. You were eating breakfast with your parents. Both of them being detectives for the ICPO, they traveled to other countries very often. When they were in the country, they would often leave for work early, and come home very late, so you were often alone.

"Don't worry, dear. We know you'll do great!" exclaimed your mother.

"After all, she's our daughter," your father said to your mother. "The daughter of Interpol's top two investigators," your father said with a wink.

You sighed at your father's blatant lack of humility.

"Dad!" you complained in a humorous tone.

You didn't really want to go to university. You had just graduated from prison. Why subject yourself to even more prison? But you supposed that school would be better than work, after all, you had a best friend named Light Yagami, and you still had a mission to save him from his downfall.

"You've studied for this so much, so it'll definitely be alright," your mother smiled.

Actually, you didn't study very much, but you were pretty confident that you would ace the test.

"Thanks mom," you smiled.

You finished eating, then you got ready to leave. As you were about to head out, your mother stopped you, making sure you hadn't forgotten anything important, and making sure you were dressed warm enough for the cold January weather. Your parents then brought you out, and you said your goodbyes.

As you stepped out of the gate of your house, you noticed Light, who was also stepping out of the gate of his house.

"Good luck Light!" cheered a Sayu who was still in her pajamas.

"I know you'll do well!" cheered Mrs. Yagami.

"These are only the standard tests, it's no big deal," said Light, as he waved goodbye to them.

"Hey, Light!" you called out upon seeing him, as you closed the gate behind you.

"Good morning!" you cheered.

"Good morning, (F/N)," he smiled.

"Have a safe trip dear!" your father cheered from your house's doorstep.

Your parents waved at you, and you waved back.

You and Light then began walking to the station.

"So those are your parents, yes?" said Light.

"Yes, they are," you said. "They're usually out of the country for work."

The two of you road the train, and soon arrived at the station near the exam venue. After walking for a bit more, you eventually arrived at the venue itself.

"Hey you two! The test is starting in ten minutes. Hurry up!" called a guard who was standing at the gate of the testing center.

"Eh? Still ten minutes? Awwww," you pouted.

"We really are alike, aren't we?" Light said with a hearty laugh.

"Excuse us, we hate waiting, so we were planning to arrive three minutes before the test. Looks like we got here a bit early," Light said to the guard.

"Talk about confident..." said Ryuk.

You giggled.

You sat in the room where the test was being held. Light was quite far from you, four columns over to your left, and further back. You knew L was supposed to be in the room too, but with so many people, you couldn't find him.