the punishment

now no one's celebrating

10 days since the trial. 10 days since the jury had decided that Dewey was guilty of killing Cassandra. 10 days since Dewey had accused Harry of wanting Cassandra dead and Campbell helping him plan her death.

10 days since Clara had spoken to Harry.

That night, Clara took her bags and left the house, not even wanting to look at Harry, she was so upset and angry at him.

Allie told her she could stay at her house for however long.

Clara sat in the tartan chair in the Pressman living room. It was the one Jim Pressman would always sit in, the patriarch's chair if you will. Grizz, Will and Allie were sitting across from her.

"Have you made a decision about Dewey  yet?" Clara asked, wiping her tears away.

"I'll have it by the end of tomorrow, I'm sure of it."

Clara smiled at Allie. The girl had been good to her recently. Clara knew how hard this decision was for Allie, to sentence the person who killed her sister was fine but what to sentence him with. An eye for an eye. A life for a life. That wasn't what Clara believed in but others did.

Feeling tired, Clara walked upstairs to Cassandra's old room. She didn't feel comfortable sleeping in her bed so she took a mattress from her own house and sleep on the floor. It was certainly not as comfy as Harry's king-size bed.

Usually, if Clara was tired or stressed she would either watch one of her comfort movies but the thought of even opening her eyes made her feel more sleepy. She hadn't slept properly in so long that she couldn't remember the last time she did.

***

The morning sun streamed in through the blinds, waking up Clara on the floor. She looked up at the picture of Harry Styles on Cassandra's wall. God that man is so attractive. Her one direction phase never ended.

Downstairs, Grizz, Will and Sam were sitting eating soggy cornflakes. A meal that Clara, sadly, had become accustomed to. There wasn't much else to eat and eventually it was going to run out so she sat in silence and ate.

Four phone notifications all went off at once. All four looked at each other, then at their phones. It was a single text.

allie

ive made my decision, get everyone to gather at the church

***

Everyone sat in the church, all having received the same message. Some were silent, some talked to their friends. Allie walked up the aisle and onto the altar. Everyone went silent.