8 | yule ball

"This is mad. At this rate we'll be the only ones in our year without dates," Ron exclaimed as Snape walked past, wacking him in the head, "Well, us and Neville!"

"But then again he can take himself," Harry pointed out.

"Actually, Neville has a date," Abigail announced.

Ron gasped at this, "Now I'm really depressed."

The group got up as class came to an end and made their way to the Great Hall. Harry and Ron discussed who their potential dates could be.

"Well Hermione, you're a girl," Ron pointed out as they sat down at the Gryffindor table.

Abigail let out a low whistle as Hermione turned to him with raised eyebrows, "Oh, well spotted."

"Come on," Ron tried, "It's one thing for a bloke to show up alone. For a girl, it's just sad."

Abigail rested her head in her hands as she shook her head. Ron really was an idiot.

"I won't be going alone because believe it or not someone's asked me," she informed him. "And I said yes."

Ron looked on at Hermione as she stormed off, "Bloody hell."

Abigail rolled her eyes at the two of them before she went after Hermione.

"Can you believe him?" Hermione exclaimed as they arrived at the common room. "'You're a girl,' it's as though he never noticed!"

"We knew from the start that he's an idiot," Abigail pointed out. "Besides when you show up in that dress and with Viktor, that'll show him."

"Who are you going with?" Hermione asked a moment later.

She frowned, "I'm not even sure I am going."

"Oh, you have to!" she exclaimed. "You can tag along with Viktor and I."

"And third wheel?" Abigail inquired, "No, thank you."

"Has Harry really not asked you?"

"No and even if he did, it's truthfully not a good idea."

"And why's that?"

"It's complicated."

"That seems to be your answer to everything recently."

Abigail frowned again as the portrait opened, revealing Harry. Hermione turned to Abigail. "You can say yes," she pointed out before getting up and walking away.

"Abby," Harry spoke up, "Can we talk?"

"I guess so," she replied as she looked around the semi-empty room. She was hoping that someone would be there and get her out of this situation.

He sat down next to her and wiped his palms on his pants, "Would you...Hmm. Would you go to the ball with me?"

"As friends?" she responded and he frowned.

"Well, no...I-As my date."

"I think that right now what you need is a friend, and I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize our friendship," Abigail explained quickly and her stomach was in knots when she saw the look on his face. "It's not that I don't...Believe me, I wish we could ju-" she placed her head in her hands and let out a groan, "It's just not a good idea, okay?"

"Yeah..." he trailed off, a frown clear on his face, "I'll see you later then."

Before he could walk away though, the portrait swung open again and Ginny was helping Ron into the common room and into a seat.