Chapter Six

Jacob woke up with a start, surrounded by what seemed to be a little hut. He was confused, just like he had been when he first came here. He stared at the walls, which were covered in different herbs, flowers, and painting, the room was round, with a small fireplace tucked into the ground. He was on an elevated swinging bed, which was made from the reeds he had been using, covered with a thick fur pelt. He ran his hands along in it, looking down at his now changed clothes. He was wearing a modern hoodie, with shorts, and had new socks.

      He started at the bright red hoodie for awhile, turning his arms over, looking at the puffy sleeves, and tight wrist cuffs. He pulled down at his dark blue shorts, feeling along his bandaged legs, he wiggled his toes, moving his wrapped up fingers. He swung his legs over the side, standing up with a wince; Jacob grabbed the cane from the side of the bed, resting his weight on it as he moved forward, towards the door. Then, a large figure came in, pulling their hood down. It was a woman, with thick muscle covered arms, braided back hair. She was a dark tan, with emerald green eyes, and upward pointing ears, she had small goat horns, and a thinner tail, that wrapped around her leg. She was clearly older then Jacob, having to be at least in her forties.

     She smiled, waving a little with her free hand, then handed the basket she was holding to Jacob. It was filled with grapes of all different colors and sizes. They both stared at each other for awhile, before he grabbed the basket slowly, pulling it towards him, and she let go.

     "I'm Amanda. I was going through the fields when I saw you shivering and laying down! I don't see a lot of Huiie here, especially not alive. I'm guessing you saw the Vacuum, taking in the Hordus? You're safe now!" She talked quickly, with a deeper voice. She went silent after, staring down at Jacob, "And you are..?"

     Jacob cleared his throat, looking down at the grapes, before looking back up at Amanda. "Jacob... call me... Jacob. Thank you, for saving me. Where am I..?" his voice was quiet, raspy from not using it.

     "You're in Reodna, or as most call it, Hell. Whatever you did, you landed here, and you've been on your own path for awhile, I can tell," She nodded a little, looking around for an unknown reason. "Well! I best be getting you going again!" She smiled again, pointing to the grapes, "Eat up, we'll be getting you out of here soon."

     Jacob nodded again, going and sitting down; he stared at his bag, starting to wish he had taken the knife, just in case.

     After Jacob had finished the rather large basket of grapes, nuts, and a few pieces of what seemed to be meat, he looked up at Amanda, who was working at the fire, with herbs, and more meat. She seemed focused, but also not there, her eyes clouded over, deep in her own thoughts. He reached his hand forward slightly, before pulling it back again, grabbing his bag.

     She eventually looked up, lifting her head. "Yes? I saw you move," She looked up at him, her tail tapping on the ground a couple times.

                                                                        "Nothing, just looking around."
     "Gotcha! Well, you'll have a warm meal tonight, and have new bandages, I'll assist you, and we can go through this together. Within a week, you'll be all healed up, and we can set you out. I     can travel with you if you'd like," she smiled, sitting up.

     Amanda grabbed the pot from the fire, pouring in the soup-like dish into a plate, and serving it. Tonight, Jacob was safe.