Chapter 2

Dan's POV

'Jess – What -' My voice broke as I clutched the phone to my ear and tried to take in what was happening.

'Look, Dan, I'm really sorry, but I just think it's best if this just ends, okay? I just felt really bad going behind your back and -'

'You felt bad?' I scoffed, still managing a bit of sarcasm through the pain and confusion as my world came crashing down around me. Jessica sounded uncomfortable like she couldn't wait for this conversation to end, but not in the least like she was actually sad or regretted anything. But then why would she? She was the one who had been cheating on me for who knows how long – weeks, maybe even months.

'Dan, I... Look, I really have to go now. See ya around, maybe...' The dull tone telling me the call was over barely registered in my mind. I fell back onto the bed, a wave of unbearable pain rising inside me. 'Yeah, maybe...' I barely formed the whisper as my heart shattered and took the rest of me with it.

I woke with a start and then couldn't even decide whether I regretted it – whether it was better to relive those painful moments in a dream or have to sit consciously through the dull emptiness that came afterwards.

Three days after my whole world told me that I didn't mean to them what they meant to me and I was pretty sure I could relate pretty damn well to a certain Hazel Grace. I still hadn't left my bed save to go to the bathroom, because what was the point? What was the point in doing anything at all, if she wouldn't be at my side to do it with me? Not even tumblr could interest me at this point, and my laptop lay unused near the bed for probably the longest time ever. I flopped back down onto the pillow, entirely consumed by the emptiness I felt inside – I almost welcomed it at this point, after the pain and anger and tears I had felt at first. I felt a twinge of irritation however, when my apathetic state of spiralling self-pity was interrupted by someone banging on my apartment door so hard it seemed like they were trying to break it down.

Minutes later I found myself driven out of bed still wrapped in my blanket, to ask whoever was at my door to please piss off, when I heard a voice yelling at me from the end of the hall.

'Dan Howell, we know you're in there! You've been here by yourself for long enough and if you won't let us in I will... I will break this bloody door down!' Another voice chimed in with the first one, less loud but still urgent.

'Dan, we know what happened. We've been worried sick about you. Although, no, we're not going to break the door down, 'cos if Chris had any brains he'd remember we have a key.' I realised it was my two best friends, Chris and Pj, just as the two came bursting in. I guess I must have looked a mess because when they saw me standing in the hall, they both stopped and their expressions grew even more concerned.

'Dan?' Chris repeated, less angry and more worried now. 'Jesus, Dan, have you eaten?' Too late it occurred to me I hadn't and probably should have eaten in three days and, the taste of bile rising in my throat, turned and fled to the bathroom, the other two in hot pursuit.

- - -

'Eat,' PJ insisted gently, pushing a bowl of cereal forwards. After I had finished ejecting the little I had left inside me into the toilet, Chris and PJ cleaned me up and helped me into the kitchen where we were now sitting at the breakfast bar, the two of them studying me closely. Chris broke the silence first, rather loudly, by slamming his fist on the table.

'Right!' he announced, a look of determination on his face. 'You, my lad, have done enough moping. We are going out tonight and we are going to have a good time and that's final. Alright?' I knew Chris well enough that there was no real point in protesting, so I just sighed loudly and landed my head on the table (which hurt) and let them make plans. Guess I wouldn't be let alone to be miserable in peace then. 

----- 

Hellooo peoples :)

So yeah please tell me if I'm doing Chris and Peej alright cos I don't know them as well as Dan and Phil (don't mean I don't love them though c:) Also it's said Dan's POV at the start of both chapters so far... I think I'm gonna alternate between Dan and Phil mostly once Phil comes into the story more ooh spoilers :P (not really it's a Phanfic :P) Also it's midterm now yaaay so I should be posting at leeeast once every two days which is good :) Please comment n stuff I will love you til the sun burns out ie forever (hopefully although if the sun did burn out we'd probably all die anyways.)

Hem. Sorry.

Anyway, thanks sooo much for reading, ily, have a good life, byeee :D

-Mint xxx