Who Regret the Most?

by Edmund Diesta

INT. APARTMNENT – MORNING

It's been 9 months since the government had announced lockdown or community quarantine. It's about 6:00 in the morning. There is this man Ryan, in his apartment, a graduating student of engineering, age 23 and is busy doing online school works, been hours in front of his laptop and a stuffed toy in his left.

He suddenly stops for a while and notice sunlight from the window, his alarm rang and it was already 6:00AM. He made some coffee and go back to the laptop.

AHHHHHHRRGHHH! – A loud scream from a place nearby made his coffee spilled on his laptop. He was mad. He look over the window and saw this woman same as his age.

RYAN

"Hey Ms! Do you know what you've done? Why are you so loud? You're a disturbance!

He noticed that it was Shaira.

Shaira gave hand signals to Ryan about the big mouse that she found in her apartment. Shaira noticed that it was Ryan and she was surprised. Ryan smiled and quickly closed the window curtains. He cleaned the coffee spill on his laptop by a tissue. Luckily it was not damaged.

Shaira is in a self-quarantine and she does clean her apartment for a nice room. She was back for good. For now it is not good for her to come close with people as she may be suspected for COVID infection. The moment Shaira will finish her self-quarantine, she will start to manage her family owned restaurant.

IN THE APARTMENT- NEXT MORNING

It was Saturday, Ryan is done with his school works, had some coffee for the morning. He opened the window for a fresh air and warmth of the sun. In the other apartment in front of him, Shaira had also opened her window. She saw him and gave him a smile. They had short loud conversations.

RYAN

Morning!

SHAIRA

Good Morning!

RYAN

I'm sorry about yesterday. I don't know it was you.

SHAIRA

Yeah it's fine.

RYAN

How are you? How is Manila?

Shaira gave thumbs up to Ryan.

SHAIRA

You and Dianne are still together?

Ryan shook his head as a no.

RYAN

That was a long time.

Shaira smiled and closed her window.

RYAN

It's still you.

He whispered.

Ryan lay on his bed and noticed the stuffed toy in the left corner of his room. It was hers.

AT SCHOOL - 4 YEARS AGO

It's the last day of school before high school graduation. Ryan is sitting on the table in the canteen while eating his favorite long noodles. In front of him is Shaira, her girlfriend for 3 years, also eating long noodles but she seems sad and silent. Ryan talks about his plan in college. He is happy and excited to go to college together with Shaira.

RYAN

Hey, where do you want to get us an apartment? I guess it'll be better if we're together so I can help you with your homework and stuff. College is coming and you know, I think it will be a good chance for us to explore the city. Sorsogon State College is near the malls, restaurants and parks. And we can always go try having some coffee in my uncle's newly opened café not so far fro----

SHAIRA

I was accepted in Manila Culinary University.

She opened her bag and gets the letter from Manila Culinary University. She showed it to him and Ryan seems to be confused

RYAN

What are you talking about? I thought we've been planning this for a long time?

SHAIRA

I know, but this school is my dream. I just tried to apply in case I could be accepted. And yes, I was accepted.

Ryan, move backwards with his chair and starting to get mad.

RYAN

You are just doing it for yourself! How about us? I don't know how it is going to work for us!

SHAIRA

Can't you just be happy? No, I'm not doing this for myself! It's only four years, it's for our dreams to be successful and this school is a good opportunity for me. You know, we can always work this thing out. We can always call each other.

RYAN

No, we can't. I don't think this thing will work for us!

Shaira left the canteen with tears. Ryan was left in the canteen, silent and disappointed.

The two never talked in their graduation. Shaira tried to approach Ryan but he refused.

THE NEXT DAY AFTER GRADUATION-4 YEARS AGO – RYANS HOUSE

It's the morning after graduation. It's 7:00AM. Ryan had waked by the alarm next to him. He went to the dining room for breakfast, made some coffee and omelet.

There was suddenly a familiar knock from the main door. He opened it and it was Shaira. He let Shaira in his house.

SHAIRA

I'm going to Manila in the afternoon. I came here to say sorry and also hoping that we could still be together even we're on a distance.

Ryan looked at Shaira, closely.

RYAN

You know, I am also sorry. I became rude but that's because I just want to be with you. You know there's a new culinary school in the province. I think you'll like it. Please, I love you and I don't want you to go.

SHAIRA

Until now you can't support me? Why can't you look at my side? You're so selfish!

Shaira opened her bag finding something.

SHAIRA

You know what? I was going to keep this because I thought that we'll be fine but you still can't understand me! Yes, I love you and I always will but I also love my dream.

She gave back the stuff toy Ryan gave to her on their first date.

He can't move and last time he saw her is from the window, leaving him and crying.

After a year, Ryan tried to date his high school classmate Dianne but they never work even for a month. Shaira never called or texted Ryan but she did look on him and his life for years without him knowing it.

Their love never died.

PRESENT – APARTMENT

The next day, Sunday, in the morning, Ryan tried to open his window trying to reach on Shaira if she opens her window too.

But there was not. The next thing happened, is a text message from her friend that Shaira was on the hospital, she was infected with Covid 19.

She died. Yes, she died.

Since then, the two of them died.

Sometimes decisions are unchangeable, and often times, destiny ruins decisions.