4

Priceless - Trey Songz
I held her cold fragile hands as I leaned my head on her shoulder. Her short breaths made my head bobble up and down gently.

Sun rays softly spread across the room through the blinds in a sort of stripy pattern as muffled bird chirping could be heard from outside. I turned my head and looked at her face. Elegance and beauty touched every part of her face. From her round nose to her chocolate brown eyes and skin.

"Let the moment consume you. Think about everything we have gone through." She smiled in content as I closed my eyes and replayed all our greatest memories.

"Mama, Mama! Lucy was saying bad stuff about me." Seven year old me said with a pout and crossed arms. She knelt down to my level and wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

"What did she say?" Mama asked softly as she looked concerned. I looked to the side dramatically and looked back at her.

"Matilda said that she-"

"Liya?" She asked in a motherly tone. I looked down at my sandals and nodded as a yes response. "Did someone say Lucy was saying bad stuff about you or did you hear Lucy say bad stuff about you?"

"Well, I didn't hear her say it but Matilda did." I said quietly.

"But you didn't hear it from Lucy directly, didn't you?" She asked shaking her head as I shook mine in sync.

"Sometimes people say things to make you angry. Sometimes people spread bad things about other people called rumours. That doesn't mean that we should join in and believe the other person unless we know exactly what happened. Matilda is probably very upset." She explained as I looked up at her with all my attention focused on her words.

"When you go back to school tomorrow, I want you to talk to her and find out what actually happened. If you were wrong for getting angry at her, you should apologise." I jumped with excitement as she smiled.

"I didn't mean to make her upset! I'm going to make a card for her with lots of hearts so she doesn't feel upset." I squealed as I ran off to get the crayons.

I sighed and snuggled closer to the person who had made me the young woman I am today. She patted my head and coughed.

"I'll always be here," she touched her chest where her heart laid. "If you believe, you'll achieve. I will always love you even if you don't feel it." She commented while laying her hand back down on the white sheets.

"I couldn't of asked for a better mama. You made me the person I am today. You're one in a million." I smiled with glassy eyes.

She held both my hands and turned to look at me. "Come on, none of that." She wiped the tear that had now fallen from my eye.

"What am i gonna do when I go home. Who's gonna cook for me?" I whined.

"Out of all the things, you'll miss me slaving away in the kitchen for you." She rolled her eyes and playfully shoved me.

We sat in silence for the next couple minutes as the heart rate monitor started to slow down. We both knew what was coming so we decided to be there for each other silently. I wish I could hold her in my arms forever but since that wasn't possible. I decided to hold her in my heart for eternity.

I wasn't sad for her. I was happy she could start her new life in the happiest place ever imaginable. I trusted the man above would look after her as much as I could.

I slowly drifted to sleep as so did she. Only that one of us wasn't going to wake back up.